Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Subaru RX Information

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1985 Subaru GL (or what I thought was a GL), but it turns out that it is really an RX. I am having a LOT of trouble tracking down information on this option. Does anyone have a good source for RX info, parts, accessories, decals, etc..? Please Pleae Please someone tell me that they know of somewhere that reproduces the checkerboard interior, lol (am I asking for too much?). Any information or sources would be appreciated. I am so excited about this project!!

Thanks,

Becky

i dont know squat about RXes in particular, but these are awesome cars, and reading on this forum will educate you quickly. Also, the search function is your friend, as is the USRM. go to the top of this page, and in the top right corner there are four links.. one is USRM. clicky, and read away.

also, if you use the advanced search function, you can select to search only in this forum.. helps cut down false hits when you search for "alternator" and get a bunch of WRX posts :rolleyes:

heh, the first two replies were like "yah this site is full of help" but little actual help to her :lol: sorry bout that.

There were only roughly 2500 "true" '85 RXs made. I have seen on in person but it was pretty had. Good score! Yes, they have the part time dual range 5-speed in them. I have one of those trannys out of a '85 GL-10 turbo sedan I had.

Yes. the '85 RX is a very rare RX indeed. I think it and the black RXs are probably the rarest of them all.

It is my understanding that 1985 was the first year for the RX and that they only made 1500. So whether there were 2500 or 1500, they are very thin on the ground. I have never seen another one, but I am definitely keeping my eyes peeled now. I am excited to start restoring it! :banana: The car is pretty much a basket case, but I have towed home worse :grin: Thanks to all for the info. I will keep you posted.