Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sacrilege? De-turboing a subaru ea82T car...

When I had my xt, I was the high ebay bidder on a professionally rebuilt mpfi non-turbo motor. Never had to replace my xt motor and recently sold the car, leaving me with the fresh motor. So, the question is: any major problems in putting this motor in a turbo ea82 vehicle and removing the turbo bits?

wait.. im confused. Is this an EA-82T or just an EA-82 if its an T than deturboing it would be horrable.... it has 7-1 compression... thats terrible... so if you took off the turbo bits than you would have no power what so ever! but if its not a T than it wouldnt be sacrelig! :clap:

sounds like you have a complete non-turbo motor that you want to put in a turbo vehicle?

yes it can be done by removing the turbo bits. you'll also need a non-turbo header and intake parts and the vacuum lines will be different. year may matter as well...what year is the car, what year is the motor and are you swapping intake manifolds or not? basically....need more information on what exactly you're doing. there are issues, but nothing that can't be overcome.

the non-turbo intake parts are particularly tricky to find. i posted and posted and called and searched and still don't know if i have everything for it. but certainly you can make something up as you go along if you don't mind it being non-stock.

automatic, manual...trans details? i know the flywheels are different either between the turbo's and non-turbo's or AWD and FWD so that could be an issues depending what you have.

i did it but haven't gotten the car running yet due to other issues. i'm fairly certainly it had ECU issues, but some may be conversion related as well...haven't looked into it recently.

with the high comp. MPFI engine you will eather need to turn boost down (witch may be hard. since the wastgate is at 6.5-7 PSI with no controler) or remove the turbo, or just run stock boost and run high octain fuel and hope for the best.

if you go with removing the turbo, shoot me a PM. i have a spider intake from a N/A MPFI XT. should be plug and play. then you will just need to have a custom peace fitted to go from the up pipe to the down pipe, to take place of the turbo. i could be wrong but i dont see why your turbo ECU would care if there was no turbo.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com