Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Legacy Outback with 136,00 miles on it. Manual transmission, 2.5 L. What would anybody recommend for oil in the winter time. I have been using 10W-30 pure synthetic oil for a while now. Would you suggest dropping down to 5W30 synthetic for the winter or is 10W30 still ok? I live in Indiana so probably temps for the winter will be mainly between 10 and 30. Also, what is better using synthetic oil or nonsynthetic high mileage oil?

If you're using a true synthetic oil (i.e. with group IV and/or V basestocks) you should have no issues with 10W30 as synthetics have superior cold flow properties to dino anyway. Last year I ran 20W50 synthetic for the whole year, cranked a little slower on really cold mornings but still started fine.

Synthetic oil is superior to 'high mileage' oil. High mileage oils typically just have a different additive package or more of particular additive(s) to help with things like seal shrinkage/swell. If you want to bump it up another notch, run a good synthetic heavy duty diesel oil as these have even more/beefier antiwear additives. (If you're worried about factory warranties this might not be the route for you if the oil doesn't carry API-S* certification as it might have more than the 900ppm or whatever the phosphorous limit is now).

Just make sure you keep running synthetic. Once you run synthetic your engine basically becomes addicted to the thinner, smoother oil. Switching to conventional and back to synthetic again will make all your seals in the engine leak.

10w30 synth should be fine for a winter down there. I've ran 15w-40 fleet oil at -50F up here in alaska before. Car wasnt happy, but its still alive.

Ahhh a good oil question. This could get ugly. :grin::horse:

In general the owner's manual should be followed. 10w-30 is generally a longer lasting oil than 5w-30, though most any newer oil is really good.

With that said; I prefer a 5w-40 summer and 0w-30 winter. I'm a bit OCD and I like to know that my oil is flowing as quickly as possible, yet is still thick enough to prevent excessive oil consumption in the outback. I'm using a thick 0w-30 in the outback to keep the consumption down, and a thinner 0w-30 in the Jeep for my short trips to work.

after reading these kinds of posts....i get so confused as what to F'n use...

I normally use 10w-30 and i get the cheapest kind....however last time i changed my oil, wal-mart had a special on the 5w-30 vavoline...so i went to 5w-30 haha

infact i gotta do another oil change very soon...miles is at 206,003 and i always change it at 3,000 mile intervals so im overdue.....

am i crazy for thinking this way? I'd really like to know what kind of oil would be best for me......

I drive 25 miles to school and 25 back from school everyday (mostly highway) and then at night i delivery chinese food haha....so im always turning the car on and off and constantly stopping at stop signs and stop lights....what do u suggest

Seanski the only real thing I see that could be a problem there is if you make a lot of short trips (where the engine oil doesn't have a chance to get up to say 180 deg. F) as then the fuel and water condensation in the oil doesn't really have a chance to get out of the oil. But you say you drive 25 miles each way to school every day and that should be sufficient to get the oil up to temp; it takes me about 20 miles in cool weather to get oil to 180 deg. F.

Seanski the only real thing I see that could be a problem there is if you make a lot of short trips (where the engine oil doesn't have a chance to get up to say 180 deg. F) as then the fuel and water condensation in the oil doesn't really have a chance to get out of the oil. But you say you drive 25 miles each way to school every day and that should be sufficient to get the oil up to temp; it takes me about 20 miles in cool weather to get oil to 180 deg. F.

if 180 is halfway on the temp gauge....yeah it was kinda tough to get it up that high today while making my deliveries...eventually it got towards the half-way mark but it definately took a while compared to all the warm weather we've been having