Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shopping for a fan for my EJ22 conversion

Subarutex

So, I'm looking at fans, for my EJ22 conversion in my wagon. I am using a brand new, two row, EA82 Radiator... with modified in/outs to accept the legacy sized hoses.

Previous to the conversion, i had been running a 13-14" slim fan, mounted on the engine side of the radiator. This fan doesn't fit on that side anymore, and is too big to be put on the front side of the radiator.

I'm looking at getting a slim 9-10" fan. Most i've found only flow about 650cfm, think that is enough?

What have you guys found that has worked?

I am going to mount an EA81 "skinny" fan on the grille-side of the A/C condenser; this will necessitate the removal of the center support and the hood latch (you wanted hood pins anyway!).

Just last weekend, I got a very small and slim fan from a Toyota Supra that might fit on the engine side, between the A/C condenser and the power steering pump. I haven't tested the fit yet.

supra:

48638594sih1.jpg

I bought an 11" slim electric fan from Advance Auto Parts. it fits easily in front of the radiator, and pushes more than enough air to keep the engine cool. the same company makes a very nice automatic relay with a little heat sensor that attaches to the radiator. It flows more than enough to cool the EJ22 through a stock loyale rad. this winter I'm going to have to cover the rad with cardboard! the darn thing almost never warms up.

I'll see if I still have the box around, if not I'll stop by the store and post up some info about it.

Mine on my 90 leg has two fans. See if you can find a junk soob with a 2.2 and gank the fans outa that.

Would'nt be new though.

The trouble is finding fans that fit between the engine and the radiator in an EA car when you drop an EJ in. The EJ is a bit longer. I don't think the stock legacy fans will fit.

The trouble is finding fans that fit between the engine and the radiator in an EA car when you drop an EJ in. The EJ is a bit longer. I don't think the stock legacy fans will fit.

Not sure. They are pretty narrow though.

I could take a measurement if anybody wants. The thing would be the rad width. If the ea rad or suppliment is not the same width you woul'd have issues. Those universal slimline elec fans are pretty good. I think jc whitney and jegs carry them. They have dimensions and are relativly cheap.

Not sure. They are pretty narrow though.

I could take a measurement if anybody wants. The thing would be the rad width. If the ea rad or suppliment is not the same width you woul'd have issues. Those universal slimline elec fans are pretty good. I think jc whitney and jegs carry them. They have dimensions and are relativly cheap.

stock EJ22 fans are far too big.

there isn't even room for a slimline between the rad and engine. it has to go on the front. and the stock fans don't really work that well on the front.

part of the problem is that the EA82 front bumper is a big fat air-blocking wedge. Look at it, it's designed to try and smooth the flow of air around the car, especially at the sides and bottom. That robs airflow capacity away from the radiator and fans.

I am going to run a tube bumper on the front of my wagon. it will free up a lot of airflow for the cooling needs of the car.

part of the problem is that the EA82 front bumper is a big fat air-blocking wedge. Look at it, it's designed to try and smooth the flow of air around the car, especially at the sides and bottom. That robs airflow capacity away from the radiator and fans.

I am going to run a tube bumper on the front of my wagon. it will free up a lot of airflow for the cooling needs of the car.

Not really true, I installed a set of dual blowing fans on UltimateRX in front of the radiator (you lose A/C though), that seems to work pretty good, Tex knows this setup, but is looking for other possible options.

hmm.

I don't have any way to verify what I said about the stock bumper.. my wind tunnel's closed for repairs (no jokes about my jaw being wired shut :lol:) but I would wonder if your new aftermarket fans would work better than old OEM fans... and I know that the tube bumper will restrict airflow a lot less than the stock bumper.. but a tube bumper is probably NOT an option for the Ultimate RX.. :dead:

I can fit a stock ea81 fan in my car but the radiator hose touches the fan area and I don't like that. I think the 11" advance auto fan sounds good to me. For an RX 2.2 conversion I just was working on we used the fan Beefaru used initially and it fit ok. EXTREMELY tight fit but it made it. Checker had a radiator fan mounting setup that had these zip tie like things that worked fairly well so long as you got them thru the radiator fins and condensor straight.

Checker had a radiator fan mounting setup that had these zip tie like things that worked fairly well so long as you got them thru the radiator fins and condensor straight.

yep, that's how the advance auto one works. it seems to work great, I've got one on eacy of my soobs.

the only downside, is the sound. it runs at extremely high rpm. sounds sort of like a Jet taking off....I can't hear it over the exhaust from in the car on either one. but outside of the car, it's definately noticable.

Lazer: My EJ20G converted RX has 2 12" fans infront of the rad too.

For whatever reason, I feel like I have less room on the wagon... and it being NA, I'm probably only going to put one fan in.

Chux: What diameter fan did you get? Thats really the part thats holding me up.

still haven't had time to get the exact specs...

but here's the setup I'm currently running...

It's a 10" diameter fan. it can be set up for either side of the radiator, but since I've removed the A/C, there's plenty of room on the front of it.

The same company makes a little relay, that has a temp sensor that attaches to the radiator. the 2 blue wires are the switched wires, one from a power source (directions say to use something switched, but I went right to the battery), the other to the fan. the little metal wire coming out the other side goes to the sensor, and the screw in the middle adjusts what temperature it comes on at.

PICT2192.jpg

the fan attaches using little clips that go through the fins of the radiator. quick, easy, and strong universal mount. (you can see the temp sensor there too...it uses the same mount)

PICT2193.jpg

and last, there's the fan, peeking out from behind the grill.

PICT2195.jpg

That one fan, is more than enough to cool the EJ22, through a stock, 20 year old, single core EA82 radiator.

• 4 months later...
Is there a name/part number for that fan setup in the picture?

How much did the setup cost?

Thanks,

R. Augur

unfortunately I haven't remembered to check while I'm at advance, and this week I'm at my parents' house, and there aren't any nearby...

I did get it at Advance Auto Parts, and IIRC the fan itself was $30-$40, and the temp-sensing relay was $15-20

btw....the blizzard up here seems to have knocked out my relay....the fan is not coming on, I haven't been able to diagnose the problem...