Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wikipedia Article

I remember back in the 70's when the Japanese cars started appearing in large amounts and how "Lost in Translation" the ads and owner manuals were - lots of confusion that was very amusing. No wonder the confusion continues today. I think Leone might come from this language jumble: Le + One.

Leone is Italian for lion, pronounced lay-oh-nay (although I ususally just say it lee-own since it's easier lol)

Here in NZ all the gen2s are called leones, whether they be coupes or wagons, ea81, ea82 or ea82t. There are some late ones badged omega, I think the ones with airbag suspension, but people still call them leones. brumbies/brats were never officially given a model name - mine's registered as a MPV.

As for the 'different engines and drivetrains' argument; take a look at the toyota corolla or honda civic - they have models so different you wouldn't guess they're the same car without seeing the badge. At least all the leones look pretty much the same. Some had front wheel driwe and some part time 4wd but they're the same 4cyl boxer longitudinally mounted, mcphersons in front, torsion in back (except the airbag ones).

I say go for leone. People will still find the article through keyword 'subaru gl' etc searches.

I'm currently in the process of rewriting the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Leone

Feel free to edit as you wish. There currently is a whole lot missing. If you add to it, please try to find reliable sources. Whether it be from a book, or a reliable website. One of the wikipedia policies is "Its better to have no information, and incorrect or misleading information".

I will get back to it later tonight.

... Also, according to that timeline, Japan saw our EA82 style in 1981. We didn't see it until 1985! ...

For some reason, some information about subarus is almost like "Hidden" on internet, or unreacheable... I suspected that our Subies with Loyale Bodies (EA82) were made in japan since early the 80´s, when I Accidentally crashed the Glove box of our 1985 White Wagon EA82, and the plastic behind said in a circle: "year of manufacturing" and it said rounding it: 82, 83, 84, 85, 86.

And then, I saw This:

Loyalein1981.jpg

What do you think about?

Also I know that subaru has selled Diesel models (On Justys - with Suzuki) since long ago in Latin America... and there says nothin´ about... but Well, that´s another story...

• 1 year later...