Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Twin Stick mod.

s'ko

The purpose of this mod is to be able to engage the low range gears while in 2wd. This is helpful for those who are running lifted Soobs b/c you will get the extra torque from the low gear w/o having to engage 4wd.

On an EA81, the dual range is located at the front of the tranny on the driver's side. The 4wd is located near the gear shifter pivot point. There is a plate there w/4 bolts that covers this area. The two systems are connected by a small rod that exits the front of the plate area and connects to a rod.

Here is the hi lo rod disconnected at the shifter.DSC00303.jpg

I punched out the pin on the collar holding the rod coming from the plate area. I actually had to saw the pin in half b/c it was hitting the tranny housing and would not go through all of the way.

DSC00304.jpg

Once the collar was removed from the small rod, I reconnected it to the hi lo shifter and I welded a bolt to a metal rod. The bolt was then secured to the collar w/a nut.

DSC00309.jpg

yeah the welds look crappy... but it holds.

Here is a video of the shifter engaging.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...t=MOV00310.flv

There is a bend in the end of the rod that goes into the cabin. The idea is to place it right next to the 4wd shifter rod and then secure it so that it moves forward and back.

This was done a spare tranny that is going into my EJ powered BRAT but I have tested engagement of 4wd and 4wd lo while driving around w/the current tranny in my BRAT and there was no issues w/engaging the low gear at speed. Once it is installed I will play with the lo gear engagement and figure out what get is best for what speed.