Ultimate Subaru Message Board

While cleaning my recently aquired 2001 Subaru Legacy L wagon, I discovered a wire hanging loose on the underside of my driver's side front seat. The seats are not powered, nor do I think they are heated..

The connector is black, with two wires attached - one white with a green stripe, the other black.

Does anyone know what the heck this wire is for?

it could be that the car is wired for additional options...like heated seats, electronic controls, etc. vehicles are often wired with options they don't have installed. makes it easy to install them yourself afterwards, tha'ts nice byproduct of that!

another possibility that is seat related or pseudo-seat related is that the seat belt clip may be integrated with the seat and the sensor that lets you know your seat belt isn't buckled is routed under there as well. maybe the previous owner didn't like the ding/ding/ding noise from the seat belt not being buckled. but i doubt this is the case.

There is another wire bundle attached under the seat, that runs down below the carpet, while this one just hangs there. I can't see a place to plug the connector in, but haven't looked terribly hard yet either.

So, this wouldn't mean the seat itself has a heater coil or such in it right? It seems to be just your standard mechanical cloth seat...:confused:

right, yours probably doesn't have the heater. this one may be for the heater that's available in some other seat option....leather, heater, controls...etc. i'm not very famililar with all the options available on your vehicle, but you could thumb through on-line or through your owners manual and probably see what seat options were available that you don't have and BINGO, that's what the wires are for. without being there and doing it myself i'm guessing - heated seats.

While cleaning my recently aquired 2001 Subaru Legacy L wagon, I discovered a wire hanging loose on the underside of my driver's side front seat. The seats are not powered, nor do I think they are heated..

The connector is black, with two wires attached - one white with a green stripe, the other black.

Does anyone know what the heck this wire is for?

I don't think you can tell by looking at the outside whether the seats are heated or not. Wouldn't be cool if you have them! Might just be worth a peak into the center console.

I just took out my seats for recarpet. Wires are exactly as you describe and they obviously plug into the pigtail from subfloor.

Total newbie, and so not a car person, so you'll have to forgive me for any stupid and redundant questions.

That said - Why would they wire a seat that does nothing? The wire comes from the underside of the seat itself, and is in no way connected to any other part of the car (that I can tell).

And, if I were to look into the center console - what would I be looking for?

(Annnnd, thank you so much everyone for your helpful replies!)

Total newbie, and so not a car person, so you'll have to forgive me for any stupid and redundant questions.

That said - Why would they wire a seat that does nothing? The wire comes from the underside of the seat itself, and is in no way connected to any other part of the car (that I can tell).

And, if I were to look into the center console - what would I be looking for?

(Annnnd, thank you so much everyone for your helpful replies!)

If you do look in the console ( ya might have to take it apart), I would look for a

pigtail connector. If you see two of these on the same cord, this would be for the heated seat controls. It probably is unlikely that your seats are heated, but the wires alone are enough to give me the impetus to inspect it.

My info shows that the power wire for the power seat is wht/grn and the ground is blk.

Cougar wins. I couldn't stand it so I went back out in the cold frosty darkness with a bright mag light and had a better look - and it's confirmed, no only am I an idiot, but the cord from the floor actually routes up onto the seat, not the other way around. There are two separate connectors coming from that wire - one runs to the seatbelt, the other is the mystery hanger. I would now believe this to be as Cougar says, the power wire for such a seat.

Sitting down to spend some quality time with my manual...:rolleyes:

Cougar wins. I couldn't stand it so I went back out in the cold frosty darkness with a bright mag light and had a better look - and it's confirmed, no only am I an idiot, but the cord from the floor actually routes up onto the seat, not the other way around. There are two separate connectors coming from that wire - one runs to the seatbelt, the other is the mystery hanger. I would now believe this to be as Cougar says, the power wire for such a seat.

Sitting down to spend some quality time with my manual...:rolleyes:

:) My heated seats are set up just as you describe, and believe me it made it a little trickier to put the seats back in. One more thing, I think the heated might have a designated fuse somewhere on the panel, just a thought.