Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loosing boost?

Ive got an 84 Brat Turbo 155000 miles original engine. Ive lost alot of boost according to the gauge.When I first got the Brat about a year ago under W.O.T. the boost gauge would sit right at the red. Now Im lucky if I get a quarter positive boost. Ive very recently replaced air and fuel filters always run 91 octane gas(is this necesary anyone know). This is my first turbo car and am a little ignorant about them . Ido put alot of miles on it every week between 450-550 could it just be getting tired. Any suggestions anyone had would really be appreciated. Anybody know of anyone making rocker patches for my Brat mine are slowly disinegrating.

A couple of things come to MY mind (which has been wrong in the past, so get the second opinion!!)

One thing is that you may have an exhaust leak in the pipe that pushes the exhaus gases into the turbo. This could be why youre not getting the boost you used to. The other thought is what you said, MAYBE the turbo is getting tired(If they do that...???). Anyway, If you DO decide to replace the turbo, gop to a local junkyard and get yourself another one. I know someone on the board has put a 2.2 turbo from a legacy into their car. It was an ea82T though, so I'm not sure if that will fit or if you even want that in your car.

Well, good luck with it, and if you figure it out, let us know!

Thanks,

Only Thing that comes to my mind first off is that you only say that the boost gauge reads this much you dont mention if you can feel any noticeable lose of power, or anything like that if you dont feel any los of power than maybe your boost gauge took a crap? if you can feel the loss of power than like was allready said check your turbo side exhaust manifold, and check to make sure that your wastegate is working correctly, also maybe one of your cats is clogged (I Think this can Cause the Boost to Act Differently) Let us know what you find.

This has been slowly getting worse so Im not really sure if theres any power loss but then again its hard to lose what you never had. I talked to a heavy equiptment mechanic and he said the first thing I should do is junk the cat and weld in a piece of pipe in its place and see if I notice any difference. I figure thats an easy enough job and according to many in USMB land losing the cat will free up some power so its two for the price of one. I looked over the exhaust under the hood and couldnt find any leaks so hopefully its the cat. Thanks to all for your advice.

Nice Find....TurboBrats are very rare, engine alone (pushrod turbo ohv) is few & far between. Take care of rust right away...this is a collectors car. I don't know how much you paid...but TBRAT in good condition should have a good return. On my 84 TurboWagon I seafoamed the throttle body....boost gauge didn't read the same...but didn't loose power. I'm gonna cut out cats soon too. Good luck w/ her!

The exhaust going INTO and OUT of the the turbo can limit the amount boost your getting. Check your crossover pipe, when I first got my car the center of the pipe was free of the outer sections, so I could grab the center and move it by hand, but it was held in there enough that it wouldn't fall out. Then go for the cat, which I'm going to say is the problem here because it's been slowely going down, and cats slowely plug up.

I took the cat off mine, the difference was night and day. Now I've got a 2.5" downpipe into a 2" turbo II muffler, sounds great, awsome throttle response, and I don't have any more noticable spool time with the larger turbo.

Lotsa luck to ya, hope everything ya get it all figured out.

I'm no expert but on my t-wagon I had the same problem. it got worse and eventually lost all power. Pulled over and the car was smokin' the 1st cat after the turbo was glwing bright red. Limped home with a nasty rattle no power. The rattle was the cat, when removed it poured out cat guts. I now run 2" into a hotdog muffler no cats. Maybe a quieter muffler in the future?

I have got to remember to log in before posting a reply!!! Well any way thanks for all the great responses. I dont have a digital camera or a scanner so sorry no pics. Ill try to describe her best I can. Shes got faded maroon paint and rocker rust but she does have all the original badging and trim.I paid $1000.00 now Im sure some of you are having a nice chuckle over this but I had never seen a turbo brat let alone a brat that wasnt 85% body cancer so I just had to have her.Oh yeah the cat is going bye-bye next Saturday could do it sooner but I will have access to a very well lit shop with heated floors wich beats the heck out of cold gravel!!!My 4 year old daughter has started calling the brat Subie Squirrel so the name is catching on at home with my wife. Oh yeah thanks for the info on the rockers. Time to start saving my pennys.

Dave one thing not mentioned yet is the waste gate.

This is the factory boost pressure control devise.

If over the years the heat has caused a the internal spring to weaken, or the control rod is loose, the waste gate could be opening prematurly allowing the exhaust gas to bypass the turbo turbine.

This unit is mounted on the turbo housing and has a diaphragm similar to a distributor advance diaphargm. It will have a rubber hose connected. Check the rod for integrity and then pull and plug the rubber hose. A VERY SHORT test drive will confirm this to be the problem or not.

NOTE you will be running with no boost pressure control -- keep your eye glued to the boost gauge do NOT go over 10 PSI for any extended period. A head is a terrible thing to waste.