Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A friendly reminder to prevent fender rust-out

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JPX

JPX

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • San Jose

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

I took off my 1996 Legacy's front factory mudguards to clean out the dirt that accumulates behing them in the fender. It was annoying to my car-wash obsessions because a little stream of dirty water always poured out from the seams between the front door and the front fender at the rocker panels.
Posted Image
About 2 lbs of dirt came out. While my area does not have lots of road salt or snow to deal with, any place that does makes this area vulnerable to cancerous rust.

So be warned! If you haven't done it before the snow starts, get the old stuff out! And make sure to clean this junk out periodically.

#2 YellowSub

YellowSub

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the tip. I never thought to look there.

#3 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:19 PM

Replacing them with plain old mudflaps will cause less junk to be trapped in there.

#4 michaelbteam

michaelbteam

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

Replacing them with plain old mudflaps will cause less junk to be trapped in there.

NICE TIP--it's salty around here, Salt Lake City, they put it all over everything the first sign of snow.

#5 fishy

fishy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:50 AM

My 94's front fenders are nice and lacy down in those corners because of this exact reason. Unfortunately it all happened long before I had the car so I had no chance to stop it. I would imagine that if you blew all the junk out of there with a hose, let it dry well, and then soaked it beyond reason with undercoating spray it would keep very well for a long time.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Edmonton

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

My 94's front fenders are nice and lacy down in those corners because of this exact reason. Unfortunately it all happened long before I had the car so I had no chance to stop it. I would imagine that if you blew all the junk out of there with a hose, let it dry well, and then soaked it beyond reason with undercoating spray it would keep very well for a long time.

You could also clean it out and spray it thoroughly with a rust inhibitor. Another thing to watch for (especially if you own a truck) are those chrome or plastic wheel well guards that go over the wheel wells to make your vehicle look pretty. Many newer trucks (4x4s usually) have huge plastic ones that trap a ton of dirt!

#7 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

As seen in the photo, there's a drain hole that needs to be kept clean. Water collected in the box which houses wiper linkage and HVAC air intake also drains into the fenders. If you don't have sand there, you'll at least have leaves.

#8 yohy

yohy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • The Great State of Maine

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:34 PM

Several times a year, I take the hose with the nozzle set at “jet”, open up each front door and point the flow at the opening where the fender meets the door sill. I get the nozzle close to cut down on the splash back, but just let it run for a minute or two. This process will flush out the problem area. Now I became acquainted with the problem of dirt getting caught in that area when I pulled the fenders off of my ’93 due to rust on the dog legs. right where all of the road dirt collects. I was amazed when I had to dig out several pounds of packed in dirt (yep with all of that winter salt) from that area. Anyhow, up till the time I sold that car, I was amazed at how much dirt I would break loose each time I hosed it off. Now I own a 97 Legacy and it has the same dirt trap and again, am amazed at how much dirt/sand gets flushed out each time. Just did it a few days ago. Now my 04 Forester doesn’t seem to have the problem, but for the few minutes it takes to flush the area, it does keep the drain holes clear.

#9 fnlyfnd

fnlyfnd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

Another way to clean it out is thru the door jamb. Just open the door and spray into the opening at the front, from inside the door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users