Ultimate Subaru Message Board

floorboard insulation source?

how yawl doing,

Seeing as how I sold the lifted wagon, I haven't posted in a while. Good to see lots of activity still going on. Anyway . . .

A couple of years ago somebody posted about some self adhesive floorboard insulation. I looked all over internet and this site, and couldn't find where to get it. Does anybod remember this, or know where to get something to put under the carpet on my current 4x4? It's loud and my feet get cold when gets around zero.

thanks

James B

I've seen a few types in catalogs/magazines.

The first is "Dynamat" and is supposed to be a sound deading/insulator. It's listed in the Eastwood catalog or @ eastwood.com. Eastwood also has a 2nd generic? brand called "The Insulator". Both sets have various sizes/kits you can buy.

The 3rd one I've seen is called "Boom Mat". There is a write up in the december issue of Four Wheeler Magazine that the authors use for their interior overhaul project. I have not done an online search for Boom Mat yet, but Four Wheeler magazine lists "attitudeperformance.com" and "sylinconcepts.com" Start there.

I'm planning on using these sound deadeners/heat & cold insulators on my Brat's floor then coat the entire thing with the Herculiner I snagged at a closeout sale. Hopefully, not only will this solve some noise issues & heat issues but waterproof the interior as well.

Hope this helps.

ive used a heap of dynamat, it works really well

but ive heard a lot of good things about raamat. people over here (in aussie) are importing it and still coming out cheaper than dynamat with just as good results

Wish I could import a set of Desert Rat Wheels & a full sized spare from Oz...and still come out on top in the price game!!!

You are the men. Ummm that sounds wierd. Individually: you da man. Anyhow, thanks for the excellent sources. I looked at all these sites an am leaning towards the RAAMaudio stuff. I like the closed cell foam for the floorboard and the self adhesive stuff for inside the hardtop. The carpet should just lay on top of a couple layers of spray adhesive'd Ensolite, and I can stick a roll of the RAAMat BXT to the inside of the fiberglass hardtop to help keep that toasty and quiet. Hell, if I get Sirius satellite radio in there I might start driving the thing to work more often. When I get this installed I'll try to post some pix (even though it is in a jeep ).

thanks again

James B