Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well Blue and I are home. New engine hasnt used a drop of oil in 3000 miles. Blu will get an oil change this week.

Now one more problem, im just too tired to fiddle with it, but i think i need a battery, the one in the car is of undetermined age.

1997 OBW 198000/3000 miles

The car fires right up, but the battery voltage is low (11.8) right after start, and doesnt build back up for a block or two (which really angers the black boxes in the car). When the car runs, the new alt puts out 13.5-14 volts, even with a full load. Since the car was run down to nothing once on the trip, and the battery was showing signs of wear, I am guessing its time for a new battery. I was thinking there may be a slow draw on the battery overnight, but the car cranks too well in the morning, so i dont think thats it.

Oddly i noticed if the ABS light and brake light comes on, it means a bad alt, if the battery light and brake light comes on, its a low battery.

Go Figure.

nipper

Yeah - sounds like it's time for a new battery. You could absolutely rule out the slow drain (load) idea by pulling the negative side of the battery and letting it set overnight -- then looking at the batt voltage before you hook 'er back up in the morning. But, from everything else you say, it's a 90% sure bet that it's the battery.

since it's you nipper i don't think i need to say it...but battery terminals/connectors will give these signs as well if dirty or not tight.

welcome home hotdog. 5 main bearings forever, 2.5 headgaskets rock, synthetic oil sucks, what is TB, can i run without an airfilter?....welcome to the FUN>>>WOO HOO!!!

Nipper, is that a Subaru battery in your car? My '99 still has its factory battery. 7 years is pretty darn good! I'll be replacing it, just for peace of mind before winter. I'll be taking it out soon anyway so I can replace my engine :mad: (seized camshaft, engine from CCR should arrive Friday).

i don't get it??

technically one engine (HUGE hole in the side of the crancase where the engine temp sensor for the ecu is) and one altenator (explains why my little black boxes were angry at me)

But even after payinhg a premium for the engine, it uses zero oil in 300 miles, no leaks, plenty of power, cruise control is much happier, transmission doesnt hunt anymore, and six 1000.00 payments is far cheaper then 300 a month for 60 months (or whatever 30,000.00 over 5 years is).

I basically told them if i am going to do an engine, i don't want to open that hood for anything besides fluid changes for 8 years, make it happen.

I had an 06 Outback for nine days. I liked mu 1997 better. It seemed more responsive (dual cams) and there was not a single thing in the new car that made it better then mine. In fact the awd seemed very FWD biased. When i took it mountain climbing the front wheels would throw rocks before the rear wheels hooked up with a learch. My 1997 (new AWD unit) feels seemless. ALso the inside of my 1997 feels bigger then the 2006. Gas mileage was the same. The 2006 had a really high and hard brake pedal.

I will say that the cruise control is still to aggressive, and downshifts too far when a squeeze of the gas would suffice. Thats actually when my engine blew, the cruise decided to stomp on the gas, shifted down too far and BOOM.

That and the previous owners habit of chainging the oil once a year weather it needed it or not didnt help.

nipper