Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ticking Heater Controls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kimokalihi

kimokalihi

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Tenino

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:41 PM

I have a 90 legacy AWD 4EAT and when I got the car I noticed that it was stuck on heat and when you clicked anything else you could hear it clicking as if it were trying to move something but was stuck on something. Somehow this eventually fixed itself a month or so later.

Anyways, it's back again and it's annoying. Can this be lubed or something or does it need to be replaced? If you stick your hand down there under the driverside dash and manually push the lever, it stops clicking and opens/closes the vents accordingly.

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,576 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

It's probably in the electronics. There are soldered joints in the HVAC unit that crack and cause intermittant issues. The unit can be removed and fixed if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Check out the "HVAC butttons don't work all the time" sticky in the body & chassis forum on www.bbs.legacycentral.org for more info & pics.

Josh

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,546 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

depends which mix door it is. Some of them are motors some are vaccume operated. The clicking is the door motor not knowing to shut itself off. You need a new door motor

nipper

#4 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

same with my car, u know what though, i took out my glove box, and tightened the screw for the vent door motor, and my mom drives the car all day, and she said there is NO knocking anymore, the screws weren't loose, but they werent tight either, like there were tight, but then it slipped the screws, and it pulled further in, but even when my car was new, it still had this problem, but my dad said it never did it when he brought it to the dealer, now its gone, lol, but my dad said its a pneumatic system, its a motor though, for a pneumatic door, shouldn't keep banging.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,546 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:17 PM

same with my car, u know what though, i took out my glove box, and tightened the screw for the vent door motor, and my mom drives the car all day, and she said there is NO knocking anymore, the screws weren't loose, but they werent tight either, like there were tight, but then it slipped the screws, and it pulled further in, but even when my car was new, it still had this problem, but my dad said it never did it when he brought it to the dealer, now its gone, lol, but my dad said its a pneumatic system, its a motor though, for a pneumatic door, shouldn't keep banging.

i wasnt sure if it was a vacume system, electric or a mix of both.

nipper

#6 Virrdog

Virrdog

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • NE Ohio

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

Anyways, it's back again and it's annoying. Can this be lubed or something or does it need to be replaced? If you stick your hand down there under the driverside dash and manually push the lever, it stops clicking and opens/closes the vents accordingly.

I would work all the rotation points and move things manually to hopefully get things aligned under there. My car would do the same thing on occasion when it was really cold. Ever since I had to replace the heater core (subsequently pulling of all the HVAC stuff out and putting it back in) the noise has disappeared.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users