Ultimate Subaru Message Board

red top worth it?

ive been running a used battery for wayyyyy too long now and its time to upgrade...Ive got off road lights and a pretty large sound system...4 5 1/4", 2 6x9", 2 12", 2 1200w amps, 1.2 cap, and a descent head unit........its my daily driver now and I do mostly highway driving and alot of it...would the redtop be a worthy investment...dont every want to have to buy another battery for this vehicle. also..im assuming I should probably do an alternator upgrade...which ones best for my 87 EA82 carbed gl wagon?

Go with a yellow top rather then a red top. It's a deep cycle battery but it handles start cars with no problems. I had one in my toyota PU for years and never had any problems with it starting, and I had a good system and lights and winch. And they will warranty it if some how you fry it using it with a system and some big lights, red tops they say they wont.

On the alternator I have heard of guys running GM stuff but haven't seen a write up about putting one in a EA82, just the EA81s. But I'm sure someone else could chime in on that.

you may want to go with an optima yellow top, better suited for that application

you are better off going with a pb h2so4 aka lead acid maintenance type battery

interstate batteries are good, and if you want to save $$ you can buy an "econo" or "blemi"

if your alt. is outboard mount, go with the xt6 90A

the "GM" alt. swap is somewhat common, and both swaps have been written up, SEARCH!!!!!!!

or be satisfied with a mono system or something else low powered, no body wants to hear your resonance or farts :rolleyes:

you got AC?? there is an internally regulated nissan maxima alt thats 90A, i think it was like 88-92 they ran them.. fits on my SPFI, inboard AC compressor EA82. what i did was found one in the JY, and found a soob similar to mine and installed it out there to reassure myself it would fit and adjust properly.. then found an alternator shop and had them install a proper pulley. The Maxima alt. has a V-belt pulley, and the one off your alt. just wont line up at all...

also, maybe i am misunderstanding, but any battery you buy will need to be replaced eventually... Ive got a local auto parts chain here that I go to alot, and they sell Exide Nascar Select batteries with 3 year full replacement warranties.. not sure of the series designation of the one I have in mind, but theres a 600+CCA battery for about 70 bucks I was gonna get. 3 year free replacement is a good enough gimmick for me. I'll even ignore the name.

or be satisfied with a mono system or something else low powered, no body wants to hear your resonance or farts :rolleyes:

I agree, its probably the most annoying thing in the world. Hearing someone elses system from a half mile away while your trying to take a nap. It was cool in 2000. The "cool" factor has diminished and there really isnt a need for it, besides of course annoying everyone on your block.

The "cool" factor has diminished and there really isnt a need for it, besides of course annoying everyone on your block.

There will be a whole generation of people going deaf much earlier than in the past. Hearing damage from those kind of SPLs is gradual, cumulative and permanent.

lol yeah I know...did the system for 2 reasons...to be able to clearly hear my radio going down the highway with all of the windows down...and every now and again to show up the little honda ricers...im hoping to work at a customs shop and its catching a whollllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeee lot of positive attention at car meets and such...more attention to the $10k+ rides...I dont run it loud around the neighborhoods and at night...the only time I actually run it what anyone would consider "loud" is when some little honda boy is trying to show off their little car....*shrugs*

I love optima-type batteries. I'm currently running a pair of blue-top knockoffs sold by NAPA, and they're great. What sold me on them was the original optima red top that I bought four years ago for my 86 wagon. It lasted through AK winters down to -40. It lasted through a POS carburetor and engine with bad rings that had to be cranked for almost a minute before it would start at those temperatures. It also lasted through many deep discharges from leaving dome lights on, as well as some pretty good overchanging due to alternator problems. After all that in my car, it still worked fine, so when I junked my car, I put the battery in my mom's 97 OBW, and it still cranks better than the stock battery did when it was new.

I love optima-type batteries. I'm currently running a pair of blue-top knockoffs sold by NAPA, and they're great. What sold me on them was the original optima red top that I bought four years ago for my 86 wagon. It lasted through AK winters down to -40. It lasted through a POS carburetor and engine with bad rings that had to be cranked for almost a minute before it would start at those temperatures. It also lasted through many deep discharges from leaving dome lights on, as well as some pretty good overchanging due to alternator problems. After all that in my car, it still worked fine, so when I junked my car, I put the battery in my mom's 97 OBW, and it still cranks better than the stock battery did when it was new.

+1 for the red top... 'tis what I'm running in the xt6 and has sustained many similar abuses

I have a yellow top in my 6 because the yellow battery IS faster... and my cars yellow too:banana: I have a good sized stereo and with my fog lights and the electronic PS I put quite a load on it. Plus I can listen to my big stereo at full power for hours with the car off and not have to worry about it not getting home. I'll probably get yellow tops for my ea82s soon:headbang:

I have a yellow top in my 6 because the yellow battery looks faster... and my cars yellow too:mad: I have a good sized stereo and with my fog lights and the electronic PS I put quite a load on it. Plus I can listen to my big stereo at full power for hours with the car off and not have to worry about it not getting home. I'll probably get yellow tops for my ea82s soon:eek:
fixored

I have a red top in my 88 EJ swapper, and it went through cranking for a few weeks when i was trying to get the wiring right, and when i finally did, it caught on the first revolution. when i get a winch i'll probably get a yellow top, just cause it makes sense for the winch, but i've had nothing but good luck with the red top, that and the spec batter comes with 450 CCA and the red top is 950. sure helps on cold mornings when you want to move the car around the block on starter power.

PLEEEASE tell me you put weather stripping behind your rear license plate! That is the number one thing I notice when I'm too close to someone with a Stereo On Wheels™ - they might be thumping but they're also buzzing!

lol yeah I know...did the system for 2 reasons...to be able to clearly hear my radio going down the highway with all of the windows down...and every now and again to show up the little honda ricers...im hoping to work at a customs shop and its catching a whollllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeee lot of positive attention at car meets and such...more attention to the $10k+ rides...I dont run it loud around the neighborhoods and at night...the only time I actually run it what anyone would consider "loud" is when some little honda boy is trying to show off their little car....*shrugs*

actually I took an old floormat that we got out of a trade in here at the dealership...about 2mm thick rubber with felt backing..cut it to fit behind the plate..works nice..should be sound dampening the whole thing before the year is up..right now dont even have a headliner. so did a search and found the red top batteries that are compatible with our vehicles but no info on the yellowtop...which yellowtop should I get?

I agree, its probably the most annoying thing in the world. Hearing someone elses system from a half mile away while your trying to take a nap. It was cool in 2000. The "cool" factor has diminished and there really isnt a need for it, besides of course annoying everyone on your block.

:confused: its annoying hearing someone elses music while you take a crap:confused: why was it cruel in 2000:confused: why would it effect someones socks:confused: ...oh sorry...the loud music :headbang: must be effecting my sight as well:eek: . So many people do so many things that anyone could consider annoying...like people operating power tools in the neighborhood...or moving their lawns...or why not just blame society for building those roads so close to my house and have all of this traffic noise...or maybe people should stop getting so upset about every little thing and spend this short time everyone has on earth doing something fun and productive and stop complaining all the time. I respect other people...I never blast my radio in any neighborhood or near gravesites or anything like that....but every time I lift up my hatch and have 10 people come flocking over with wide eyes and big smiles it makes me feel pretty good inside knowing that all of my hours of hard work is being noticed and remembered...It floats my boat so to say...dont go trying to sink my ship...just worry about keeping you own boats afloat...I understand not enjoying stupid kids who go racing through your street while your trying to nap or bumping down the road...but im not like that so keep your negative opinions out of this conversation...I simply asked for some advice on a battery.. not your views and opinions on or current generations fads ok? love, peace, and subarus for everyone...cant we all just get along?