Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Hatch Light/Sensor On!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hydroman

Hydroman

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

Hi, I have a 99 Outback Wagon. The rear hatch indicator light on the dash indicates the door is open when I know its closed. I have tried adjusting and shimming the rear hatch strike and latch with no success Posted Image . If I push on the rear hatch from the outside I can see the light go out but when I let up it comes back on. Is there some adjustment I am missing? Any help? Thanks

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,998 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

I hate that problem, this happens on both my '96 and sometimes '00 too. I saw a post on here somewhere about fixing it. On mine if it happens I just slam the hatch really hard and that makes the light go out so I haven't really been motivated to try to fix it.

Does your hatch latch stick? It does on both my Sub's. Like you squeeze the handle to pop the hatch, but the handle doesn't return to it's original position, it stays squeezed in unless you manually push it back. And that hatch won't latch if the handle is squeezed in. I fixed that pretty well by spraying the heck out of the mechanisms with Penephite and Lubricone.

#3 Hydroman

Hydroman

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Porkupine, I've tried the hard slam, sometimes works til I close my drivers door and it pops the hatch far enough open to turn on the light. Dosen't bother me really but complicates locking doors (no audible on remote lock). Also I couldn't reprogram my remotes because the computer thought the door was open.... Any other help out there?

#4 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,399 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Porkupine, I've tried the hard slam, sometimes works til I close my drivers door and it pops the hatch far enough open to turn on the light. Dosen't bother me really but complicates locking doors (no audible on remote lock). Also I couldn't reprogram my remotes because the computer thought the door was open.... Any other help out there?

i don't think the hatch sensor is a button like the doors, but i'm not sure. whatever it is, find it and jump/short it out. then the light won't even come on when it is open.

#5 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:14 PM

The switch is part of the latch assy in the tailgate. There is no real adjustment for it in any of the manuals. At a dealer they would replace it. I would take it apart and check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users