Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/R 5 speed driveshaft Q's

Alright. My d/r 4 speed is down so I figure I'd replace it with a d/r 5 speed. I cannot find the driveshafts for the d/r 5 speed but found some for a f/t 5 speed. Will this work as well for my 83 Wagon? I know the center support will need to be mounted up and all, but otherwise is it the same length and will everything bolt up? I have not been out to the yard to check because it is a Lonnggg drive to get there for nothing.

Seems I cannot find any driveshafts from a manual so......... what about using one from the automatics???? Will it bolt up to the 5 spped or will I need to modify it???? Also, what about using my stock ea81 d/r 4speed driveshaft??

No, automatic EA82 driveshafts have a shorter section between the carrier bearing and the tranny so no go. Are you putting a d/r 5-speed into an EA81 car or are you thinking about using an EA81 d/r driveshaft in an EA82 car? The EA81 driveshafts are way different as far as lengths go.

I'm replacing the bad d/r 4 speed with the d/r 5 speed in my 83 GL Wagon, if I can get all the parts for it

ok I missed that in your previous post. Anyways, you're best option is to get an EA82 2 piece driveline modified for the 5-speed. I've heard and seen guys get custom drivelines made that were a single piece but thats a bit of change to throw down...

ok I missed that in your previous post. Anyways, you're best option is to get an EA82 2 piece driveline modified for the 5-speed. I've heard and seen guys get custom drivelines made that were a single piece but thats a bit of change to throw down...

There's no modification needed, you just have to either bolt the carrier bearing in, or weld it. I have the two peice in my Brat and it works fine.

GD

1 vote here for the 1 piece. It costs some $ cuz they replace the entire pipe that runs between the yokes, replace the u joints with greasable serviceable ones usually, and of course the labor to do the work. I think I paid $150 or so for the shaft last time.