Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cloud of smoke

So, I ordered a CCR engine and finally it's in my 90 Loyale. I've heard nothing but great things about these engines, and certainly don't want to imply anything to the contrary in this thread... I'm just looking to troubleshoot.

So, as I say, the engine is in, along with a new clutch, and the car runs great and feels nice. I've put probably a few hundred miles on it. The run between home on the mountain and town in the flats is 50 miles, half of it running 75-ish on a freeway, and the other half climbing from sea level to 6000 feet on a windy road.

On the first run up the mountain, about half way up, I felt a very brief slight loss of power and looked out the back window and saw a HUGE cloud of white smoke. It disappeared as soon as it arrived. I regained power after like a 2 second lapse and made it the rest of the way home. But I was perplexed.

A few days later, I was making the same run, and at right about the same spot, the same thing happened.

Now, we novice mechanics like to make a big deal about coincidences that probably make no mechanical sense..., but yesterday, after having made a long and hard highway run of about an hour and half, I was on my way up the mountain, and it happened again. In the same exact spot as the first two times.

What's different about the spot? Nothing really. It's about a 270 degree turn on a pretty hard uphill, but nothing abnormal for the road. I ride it hard there. I'm likely in 3rd, pushing 4000 rpms.

So, I really want to get to the bottom of whether or not something is quirky with this engine. As I said, it otherwise feels fine. I never experince this when accelerating to get on the freeway or running at high speeds. When I first ran it after install, it made a lot of clacking noise, kind of a more Volkswagen-esque sound than I'm used to, but it quieted down as I broke the motor in. A more knowledgable acquaintance said that was to be expected.

I've never really broken in a rebuilt motor before. Is this behavior normal? Should I be concerned? It doesn't bother me too much, but I hate it when there is someone behind me getting pissed because they are quite literally getting smoked by a Loyale.

belizeanbus

90 Loyale was before they fixed the long right-hand (IIRC) turn issue with the PCV system. You need to remove the small hose that goes from the T-fitting with the PCV valve hose over to the small port on the intake bootie, and replace it with a normal sized hose that T's into the passenger side breather hose and the intake boot. Plug the small hole where the little hose went in the rubber intake boot. Does that make sense? It's too late for a picture right now but I can make one tommorow for you....

You need two 5/8" T fittings, about 12" of 5/8" hose, and something to plug off the small port with - a bolt will work.

GD

270 degree right hand sweeper? Cloud of white smoke? Yup. PCV system. You should be able to find a number of threads on it & the fixes, some with photos/diagrams. There was also a factory service bulletin issued on this, and I've seen reference to a Subaru kit to fix it.

Nothing wrong with the engine, it's just taking a glug of oil through the intake.

//EDIT: My thread on it from a while back, with the link to the service info: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40898&highlight=right+hand+smoke

-=Russ=-

There are pictures of what you want to do in this thread -

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16162&page=2&highlight=dies+on+turns

That blue tee isn't a standard tee. It has some ridges in it. I'm assuming

they act like dam for the small amount of oil that will still come up that

hose. Even with the fix you can still be pulling oil in there, just not enough

to cause any smoke screens. Or at least that is my experience. Some really

good pics in that thread. It should be added to the USRM.