Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing feedback carb with non feedback, 89 EA81

Ok, so the little hitachi carb on my 89 hatch is crap. The shafts are worn badly and it runs poorly, well, just not as good as it should. Among other things, I'd like to replace it but I'm not putting an expensive Weber on an oil burning engine that has 215,000 miles on it. So, I can get a non feedback Hitachi cheap but I will have to remove a bunch of stuff on the motor I'm sure. But what exactly?? There will be no need for the various solonoids and O2 sensor, but what about the ECM? Has anyone done this? I don't have the time to play with this thing and figure it out over a week or two. It needs to get me to work and even running below it's optimum, it still gets twice the mileage of my pickup!! Thanks for the help.

Just swap em. It will work without any real changes. You can remove the duty solenoids at the same time (if you want). The rest of the stuff you can just cap off and it will just sit there unused. The ECU will complain with an ECS light after you drive for a while - which can be cured by removing the ECU and tossing it in the dumpster.

Leave the 02 sensor - if you decide to go with SPFI later it will work with that, and it doesn't hurt anything to leave it.

GD

Yeah, that was the plan, leave the O2 and just cap/remove the other junk.

Thanks for the reply and confirmation!

I see from the other posts that you are "experienced" in the SPFI swap, do you have a list and instructions made up? I really haven't chose that as an option, but I do like to explore the options....

Just swap em. It will work without any real changes. You can remove the duty solenoids at the same time (if you want). The rest of the stuff you can just cap off and it will just sit there unused. The ECU will complain with an ECS light after you drive for a while - which can be cured by removing the ECU and tossing it in the dumpster.

Leave the 02 sensor - if you decide to go with SPFI later it will work with that, and it doesn't hurt anything to leave it.

GD

There is a write up, but it's mostly for EA82's, and does not cover the EA81 specifics at all. The swap is somewhat more involved for the EA81. I've done several harnesses now, and I'm considering building the harnesses and distributors for sale here on the board. It takes me about 10 hours of work to make one harness. It's not completely plug and play because the EA81 does not have enough relays, fuses or fuseable links. All these have to be added, and things like the speed sensor have to be fished out from behind the guage cluster as well as the ECS light if you don't have a feedback carb... etc.

If it's something you want to do I'll help with anything I can

GD