Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Your opinions on running a Solex carb instead of a Weber....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

Other than the nightmare involved with getting parts, how are the Solex carbs? Mainly the two barrels like the Solex 32/35 TDID and variants?
From what I gather, the bolt patern is the same as a weber so mounting it won't be a problem.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

side draft and down draft are two different worlds, but when it comes to Datsuns (which use sidedraft) solex and weber are virtually even. Not identical, but equally good, and very similar. If memory serves, the jets for one are available in step-down increments, whereas the other have them available in whatever size you want... but i cannot recall which. Not much help, I know, but its something :grin:

#3 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

if you have one try it.

#4 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,818 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:00 PM

Not as reliable as thier one barrel predecessors or webers but they are OK.
I run a 32/35 TDID as a bolt on upgrade for a 32/32 DIDTA on an older BMW.I`ve found it to be somewhat vibration prone.Don`t care for the thermal starting valve either,but,it is easily disabled.
The vacuum secondary diaphram in your photo makes the carb look like a DIDTA rather than a TDID.You`d be much happier w/a TDID w/a mechanical secondary.
Parts aren`t as difficult as you might think.I bought a carb kit on ebay for $4.Pretty sure there are aftermarket Solex jets available from the early VW crowd.I have a small collection if you need something specific.The carb in the photo will take either an electric or water choke.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:10 PM

I second the mechanical secondary - much more "sporty" feeling than the vacuum units. That's one of the benefits to the weber over the Hitachi... along with being larger, and simpler in design.

Although I prefer this:

Posted Image

My plan is to offer some partial and full kits for the EA81/EA82 coversion fairly soon.

GD

#6 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:40 PM

That is just one that I had seen on Ebay. There are a few NOS reman units on there for $79.95 too.

Not as reliable as thier one barrel predecessors or webers but they are OK.
I run a 32/35 TDID as a bolt on upgrade for a 32/32 DIDTA on an older BMW.I`ve found it to be somewhat vibration prone.Don`t care for the thermal starting valve either,but,it is easily disabled.
The vacuum secondary diaphram in your photo makes the carb look like a DIDTA rather than a TDID.You`d be much happier w/a TDID w/a mechanical secondary.
Parts aren`t as difficult as you might think.I bought a carb kit on ebay for $4.Pretty sure there are aftermarket Solex jets available from the early VW crowd.I have a small collection if you need something specific.The carb in the photo will take either an electric or water choke.

#7 7point62fmj

7point62fmj

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Mondamin

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

Off topic.. you got a price. I am assuming you will have a nice write up on this.

I second the mechanical secondary - much more "sporty" feeling than the vacuum units. That's one of the benefits to the weber over the Hitachi... along with being larger, and simpler in design.

Although I prefer this:

Posted Image

My plan is to offer some partial and full kits for the EA81/EA82 coversion fairly soon.

GD

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Off topic.. you got a price. I am assuming you will have a nice write up on this.

Oh yes - don't have a price just yet. Been too nasty to get to the yards for some harnesses. The write up will contain everything you need to do it yourself if you want - no need to buy from me unless you don't want to, or can't find the parts. Write up will probably be online sometime this weekend.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users