Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your opinions on running a Solex carb instead of a Weber....

side draft and down draft are two different worlds, but when it comes to Datsuns (which use sidedraft) solex and weber are virtually even. Not identical, but equally good, and very similar. If memory serves, the jets for one are available in step-down increments, whereas the other have them available in whatever size you want... but i cannot recall which. Not much help, I know, but its something :grin:

Not as reliable as thier one barrel predecessors or webers but they are OK.

I run a 32/35 TDID as a bolt on upgrade for a 32/32 DIDTA on an older BMW.I`ve found it to be somewhat vibration prone.Don`t care for the thermal starting valve either,but,it is easily disabled.

The vacuum secondary diaphram in your photo makes the carb look like a DIDTA rather than a TDID.You`d be much happier w/a TDID w/a mechanical secondary.

Parts aren`t as difficult as you might think.I bought a carb kit on ebay for $4.Pretty sure there are aftermarket Solex jets available from the early VW crowd.I have a small collection if you need something specific.The carb in the photo will take either an electric or water choke.

That is just one that I had seen on Ebay. There are a few NOS reman units on there for $79.95 too.

Not as reliable as thier one barrel predecessors or webers but they are OK.

I run a 32/35 TDID as a bolt on upgrade for a 32/32 DIDTA on an older BMW.I`ve found it to be somewhat vibration prone.Don`t care for the thermal starting valve either,but,it is easily disabled.

The vacuum secondary diaphram in your photo makes the carb look like a DIDTA rather than a TDID.You`d be much happier w/a TDID w/a mechanical secondary.

Parts aren`t as difficult as you might think.I bought a carb kit on ebay for $4.Pretty sure there are aftermarket Solex jets available from the early VW crowd.I have a small collection if you need something specific.The carb in the photo will take either an electric or water choke.

Off topic.. you got a price. I am assuming you will have a nice write up on this.

I second the mechanical secondary - much more "sporty" feeling than the vacuum units. That's one of the benefits to the weber over the Hitachi... along with being larger, and simpler in design.

Although I prefer this:

SPFI_parts.jpg

My plan is to offer some partial and full kits for the EA81/EA82 coversion fairly soon.

GD

Off topic.. you got a price. I am assuming you will have a nice write up on this.

Oh yes - don't have a price just yet. Been too nasty to get to the yards for some harnesses. The write up will contain everything you need to do it yourself if you want - no need to buy from me unless you don't want to, or can't find the parts. Write up will probably be online sometime this weekend.

GD