Ultimate Subaru Message Board

leaky transmission

Check the bearing retainer seals. I've had to replace several for customers on both autos and manuals. I have seen them lose as much as a quart a week. If that is the problem remember to replace the o-ring on the outside of the retainer ( usually the problem anyway )

That wasn't his problem, it was the rear output seal....

But you should NEVER remove the side bearing retainer rings. They adjust the gear loading on the front diff, and if not set correctly can cause the front diff to eat itself. Although if you *have* to do it, then I guess mark where it was, check it's torque and put it back the way you found it. Still not a good idea unless you have the proper tool to set the side gear torque load.

GD

yep, rear output shafts leak frequently with trans work. pulling the driveshaft out can ruin the seal or just sitting and getting old.

it's a good idea to check the driveshaft that slides into the trans. if it's rusted at all from sitting outside during the work, the roughness of the rust can eat away any new seal and leak.

wasnt the output seal. does anyone have any other ideas? its loosing QUARTS at a time but about 1 1/2 quarts do not leak out. all fluid but that leaks out almost instantly. i cant see where its coming from but i know its near the rear somewhere around the output of the transmission and only really leaks when i drive

why do you say "it wasn't the rear output seal"? did you look at it, replace it, was it leaking at all from there? was it leaking in front of that?

really need a picture or to know where it's coming from. can you absolutely, for sure, rule out the rear extension housing from leaking - where the driveshaft slides in?

problem solved! :banana: it was missing a DR LO switch, turns out before they put the LO light switch in the consloe there was one on the transmission itself. must be an 85 thing. there wasnt even casting for the single range lever.:confused: so now its holding fluid and shifting smoothly. :headbang:

Yeah - it was definately different than my other D/R I had to look at, and also different from the single range we pulled out. The extension housing is actually a different casting with a switch on the side in a similar location to where the pushbutton cable lever is on the other tranny's I have. I'm guessing they originally put the low range switch on the tranny itself, and then later when the push-button came out they changed the houseing and just put the low range switch on the shift lever instead to facilitate only using one casting for both trannies....

For whatever reason, this tranny was missing that switch, and we didn't notice it till it started losing fluid.

GD