Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a few questions for those of you running strut lifts on EJ cars...

Snowman

I finally got around to ordering some OBW struts to lift my 92 Legacy, and I'm pretty sure I've got everything I need, thanks to Zap's advice. I'm now curious, just for the sake of knowing what to expect, about the setups that some of you are running. So, for all of you who are running this type of lift on your car, whether it's a Legacy or Impreza, could you tell me....

1. What kind of car it is.

2. What size tires and rims you're running.

3. If you had any tire clearance issues.

4. How much ground clearance you have now (and how much you gained over stock).

5. If you had any CV axle issues.

6. How it handles on the highway compared to stock.

Please reply to this, as I'd like to compile the data and make a USRM entry. Thanks!

'93 Legacy LSi. Outback wagon struts, origional "L" springs. Gained about an inch and a half, same size tires. No cv issues yet. Installed smoothly. Drives normal on the highway.

One question likely to keep coming up on here: What's the least amount of lift needed to run stock Outback wheels and tires on regular Legacies and Imprezas?

'93 Legacy LSi. Outback wagon struts, origional "L" springs. Gained about an inch and a half, same size tires. No cv issues yet. Installed smoothly. Drives normal on the highway.

One question likely to keep coming up on here: What's the least amount of lift needed to run stock Outback wheels and tires on regular Legacies and Imprezas?

I can experiment with that, as my mom has a 97 OBW that I can try the wheels and tires off of. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hehe, only a couple more weeks till the lift madness begins:brow: . It's on, Matt! I wanna see what this thing will do in the snow!

im running a 90 legacy with 98 outback struts and stock legacy springs.... the ride i think is actually improved some as the struts are made for a heavier vehicle... no problems with half shafts, or with instal other than old stuck nuts that had to be slowly removed..... it does however put more strain on the rear sway bar....sitting on the ground its only a little less than an inch or so away from the gas tank.... i gaind about an inch and a half or so, and the front sits an inch lower than the rear right now, not quite sure why other than the spring perches are different.... a one inch spacer to the front would fix that in no time.... i have run kumho 27x8.5 14's on it with only slight rubbing on the front when at full left or right, other than that, i would say its almost like its meant to be....

Hey there; I've got a 97 Legacy OBW. I've got the Scorpion springs mounted with KYB GR-2's. I'm currently running 205-75-15 Peerless Force 4 AT's on the stock alloys. No tire clearance issues. I've got 10.5 inches at the headers up front and 10 inches under the rear differential skid plate. Never measured it stock. I've replaced all the axles, but at 100K miles plus I didn't think it was an issue. I'm at 170K now and all the CV's are smooth and quiet. I feel like the handling is better than stock. It feels more reactive to what I try to do. I haven't noticed a big difference in ride quality, except when I've got the AT's on, they're kina rough. I run 215-70-15 Goodyear Triple Treads for three seasons and the ride with them is fantastic. Also cornering goes up considerably over the AT's. Good luck with your ride.

While questions are being asked, how much do used Outback struts cost?

Depends on where ya get 'em. You could probably find a parts car for $500, take the struts, sell the drivetrain, and break even. If you can find struts at a PAP yard, they probably would be less than $100 each. Being in AK, I get hosed on parts costs...I think I paid around $125 each for mine, plus shipping of around $50 for the four of them.

97 Impreza Brighton Coupe

99 Legacy Sensatrac struts

stock coils

gain-1.5"

fit 215/40 zr 18's for a bit, looked bad azzzzz like a little RC car, blew a tire and shipping up here is crazy:slobber: hopefully i can stash a little cash and get a new one by next year but noooo...

got 205/40 16's on WRX split spokes and they look tiny but handle good, not as good as the 18's but still pretty wild:rolleyes:

ive got forrester coils coming next week to fit my 205/75 14 stud's, the snow is here

next summer im gonna try some 27" mudds on my 16" wrx rims and my 215/18 setup for different conditions, all and all ive really only spent just over $1k for 3 sets of rims and tires and the lift:burnout:

OTS HEy AK guys, im gonna be doing an intake/motor/header/exhaust/suspension swap next weekend if any body wants to lend some subi knowledge or an extra wrench hit me up.