Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My RX is rusty

I have been looking around my RX i recently bought, and its alot rustier than i thought. Its got alot of surface rust on little parts where rocks have hit the paint. And theres spots on the front of the rear fenders that are almost holes about the size of a 5 cent peice. And one spot in the trunk in the corner where fuel lines and what not run where theres actually a small hole!! Along with cancer right behind the rear wheels Im not sure what to do! I plan on doing some major body work this spring as a learning experience, because i have 2 cars, a summer and winter car. So ill have plenty of time to bring it off the road. So what do i use, and some tips and all that, and replacment of the rear lower quarter panel, i saw some write up where a guy with his wagon used sheet metal he bent and stuff and bondoed it on and it turned out really good

if you can avoid driving it this winter, that would be the first and best thing you could do for it.. as far as bondo is concerned, less is more.

Ideally you'd sand the paint/primer off of all rusted areas, treat small areas and replace holes with fresh metal, then seal (POR-15 would be great) and repaint. Budget and time are of chief concerns...