Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Utah Users Unite!

Ironhorse,

DL is stripped

DL has the 1600cc motor

GL is loaded

GL will have the 1800cc motor.

Check the brochure section on the board here and you'll see, different headlights, trim packages...

brochure section is great.

I've been casually looking through the "thrifties" in the paper. I have been considering picking up a spare Subie to Make into a monster or use a mobile source of spare parts. I wouldn't pay much over $400 for an early 80's Subie.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it used to be......

01 Forester, bent but not broken!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hatchet,

Summer my SubaruHummer, will be garaged in the Heber area when I finish it.

I plan on using it primarily in the mountains east of Heber!

We should plan a desert trip while the mountains are snowed in. We may have enough folks to do a trip.

Find that Yellow Modified Hatch! I've seen him too! He was on the back side of Utah lake last spring near Nutty Putty cave. He was my inspiration for finding this board and doing something with my Hatch. We need to get him on BOARD, so's to speak.

Glenn,

82 Summer, almost wired........

I plan to head out west to the topaz mountain area this spring and do a little exploring through out the vernon hills just beyond Eureka. In the summer the Soob will spend alot of time east of Heber and beyond up into the Uintas as far as the roads go.

I am surprised I have not yet beat my Soob to death. I took my Subaru up many nasty roads, one of the worst was up the north side of Notch Peak. It was me and a bunch of ATVs, they all looked at me like I was crazy. When I find time to head out west this spring I'll post the date and time or at least an email. I am interested in seeing this SubaruHummer. I think tomorrow will be a good day for a drive out west of Utah lake.

I know where the jacked up yellow hatch lives, maybe I'll stop by and mention the message board. I understand that car came from EZAP up there in the north west if I remember right. It used to be a beautiful dark forest green.

Still a lot of snow once you get near Eureka and then beyond. A lot more than I thought. Just west of Utah lake most of the snow is gone and the roads are pretty muddy and fun! I stayed out of the deep snow and mud since I was out by myself.

Anyone in Utah got any wheels they want to sale for 80s Soob? I need two.

they painted the green hatch!! i loved that car!! that was the second lifted suby i ever rode in!!

sweet82,

you've seen my car you should know i don't care about damage. i've dented the floorboards up. banged them with a hammer to get them somewhat down again. the whole passenger side is one big dent. i've torn tranny mounts when it had the smaller lift, cause i high centered on some really knarly rock face here in the desert... trust me, body damage and that stuff i don't care about. not to mention just grenaded a lower cv joint on the front left axle and broke a diff stub. (i was being crazy and dumb with the throttle in the dessert)as long as there is parts or a way i'll make it home. that's why as soon as i get back from the boat i'm planning on buying a 1 ton pickup and a large flatbed trailer. so little roo can become a trailer queen when i leave the safety of home. and also can stock pile parts in compartments on the trailer.

Hatchet,

Would have been a nice weekend for the west desert. Good to know the snow is finally starting to melt. I stayed around and wired the Buggy. The harness is in and 90% connected. What areas have you been to/prefer/recommend? I think the inititial shake down run for Summer will be out there somewhere.

That little yellow hatch used to be green? The thing looked like it had been painted with a roller when I saw it?

I'll p.m. EZAP and see if he sold it to a guy in Utah?

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it used to be..........

Rooinator,

Your car is great! It was totally amusing running to the Junk Yard in your rig. 100% of the people stared at Mudrat and I. People around here ain't use to that kinda vehicle. After all, besides yours that little yellow hatch is the only Modified Subaru I have seen in Utah.:eek:

Think of Moab as a Moral Imperative for your Subaru!

Even with insanity as a co-pilot I'm afraid there are trails that are un-Subaruable in certain directions. You can go down 5 foot cliffs but not up! By the way, I have some 5 footer in-mind, I think we should try:rolleyes:

Any plans for a winch? I'm building one in the buggy (may put it on a receiver to be moveable to front, rear, and sides?). Someone in the crowd needs to have a winch for Moab.

Unforutnately Summer will also be a "Trailer Queen". I have no chance of getting it registered on road. I also have no trailer capable of hauling the beast very far. After that I still have no tow rig for it. Getting around will be a problem for me.

Originally posted by Sweet82

Rooinator,

Unforutnately Summer will also be a "Trailer Queen". I have no chance of getting it registered on road. I also have no trailer capable of hauling the beast very far. After that I still have no tow rig for it. Getting around will be a problem for me.

I think i can be done.

Have you ever been to hot rod meet? If you can get a scratch

built 23 T bucket regestered, I dont know why a home built

wheeler cant. I have plans for a bucket, even started on it but

I would rather build a wheeler.:D

If i can ever get started on mine, I will try for street legal.

:grin:

I'll give DMV a call and find out what I need to be street legal. There are some probs associated with it though.... State Inspection, emissions certificates, registration, insurance..... It's worth the hassle if it would allow me to drive or tow it on the highways.

I'll let you know what I find out.........

Glenn,

82 Summer, now with blinkers and park lights!

01 Forester, still with blinkers and park lights!

I forgot i had some info on reconstructed cars from the state.

I scaned it and put it on my home page. Look in pictures.:D

You will probably need DOT wind shield. whipers, seatbelts

and two mirrors. Install the sway bars for street driveing.

The Jeep guys put quick disconects on them so they can

unhook them for offroad. There are 3 pages to look at on

my home page, There not in order, the one on the bottom

is page one.

It took about 2 hours for the girl at the dmv to find it for me,

make copys, and they were nice about it too. She gave me

a phone # to but i dont have it right now.

Had the afternoon off so I ran out and explored the nutty putty area to try out my new mud and snow tires. I've never been there before so it was pretty cool. Only about 6 inches of snow on the ground and no mud so I wasn't too woried about getting stuck out there by myself. The sky was clear and the air was clean unlike the Salt Lake and Utah county areas. My old 83Wgn was pretty happy to crawl around in 4 low. Seems like there are roads all over that place as far as I could see. I think I'll head back up there Sunday if the storm has passed by then.

Do you know where "Little Moab" is out there near Nutty Putty? I've heard it's challenging and easy to dent your rig.

I took a half day off too, only I went snowmobiling east of Heber near Bald Knoll. Best sleddin I seen in years.

I need to finish the buggy and we need to hook up. Got it 98% wired Saturday afternoon. May fire it up this week.

Glenn,

82 Summer, wired!

I've heard of Little Moab but I had no idea of where it was. It is funny that you mentioned Bald Knoll above Heber. I spend a lot of time up in that area in the summers with my Soob. Sat night during the snow storm I was out running around in the snow till 1am, what a blast! It was so funny to watch everyone getting stuck in inches of snow or sliding all over the place.

Little Moab is west of Nutty Putty cave.

This Summer we need to have a Heber Safari. I'm in for a nice day in the mountains. The buggy will be seeing alot of Bald Knoll.

The Buggy is wired accept for the roof driving lights. Shouldn't take much time to finish that. I may have it trail ready soon.....

Just waiting on the weather to warm up.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it used to be.....

Just wanted to say hi, I just found this thread and enjoyed reading posts from other UT people. We have two Subies, but they're definitely not the rock crawlin' variety. We have a '97 OB and '03 TS. I've always thought it would be cool to give the OB a little lift, but nothing extreme like you guys are doing. We've taken it on a lot of camping trips, somewhat back roads in the Uintas and a ways down the Hole in the Rock road (before it gets bad).

It does seem like there's not too many posters on the USMB (or Nasioc or Edmunds) from UT, especially considering how many Soobs there are here. Glad to see some people posting.

Steve

start dropping business cards on all the subaru's windows. that's what i'm about to start doing!

but as for getting the boat trip over... i'm slotted to come home on the 16th of december. so next spring i guess. when does any snow disapear or does it snow in moab??

new front bumper and grillguard planned. with at least a hitch receiver or winch mount. not to mention i'm gonna try to call Warn industries up and get chrome molly stub axles made up. then see what starts breaking. won't get that till after deployment. along with hopefully an older chevy pickup and flatbed trailer. so i have a way home after i slaughter my car.

Outback,

It does seem strange that there is so few Subaru people on the board here. After all it's a running joke that at any given intersection you'll see at least three Subarus (Look--It's true). I only know of 10 people on the board who are in Utah. There's only a few that are active.

Mudrat said my Forester is way too low! I think a subtle 1-2" lift would be fun just to make people wonder? Is it really lifted? Mudrat would be happy to lift your OBW. I'm gonna wait a bit till the car gets older for a lift. However I put fender flares on the Forester and it looks lifted Forester with fender flares

Without the Dual Range Tranny, I don't see any urgent need for a big lift.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it used to be.........

Rooinator,

Moab don't get much snow!

I'm heading for Moab in a couple of weeks:banana: Going to attempt Poisen Spider, Golden crack and Gold Bar trails in a loop, starting at Poisen Spider. I understand Rigs are throwing their spare tires in the crack and driving over the top of the spare to make it through the Golden Crack.

The rest of the story, I'm not planning on taking Summer. It may be ready but I'd prefer to test on a few shake down runs before attempting Moab trails. So instead, I'll be running with modified Toyotas and Jeeps. I'll be assessing this trail for Subability and let you know. I know we can do Poisen Spider with a winch and some damage:eek: And since there are no straight panels left on Little Roo, this shouldn't be a problem:D

Little Roo in Salt Lake with Summer.

I'm wondering if I'm gonna be breaking stubbs with my 80" wheel base and locked diff? I'll be able to turn real tight but on slick rock with ATV tires, that may break stubbs :rolleyes: I'll find out!

Later,

Glenn

I appreciate your service to our armed forces!

shouldn't be breaking them. if you are there's something wrong.i had a welded diff in the rear of mine for 2 years. the exact same diff. i never had a problem till i get crazy with the throttle with 31's and compound gearing. trust me i was abusive on mine.

the only way i see it a problem is that slick rock is supposed to give ultimate traction. which will break stuff if you aren't careful. just don't be throttling hard in corners.

Hi Sweet82

Eney luck finding info for getting it legal yet?

Found this tonight. http://dmv.utah.gov/rebuiltspeciallyconstructed.html

It sounds like you only need a waver for the emissions.

Found another wagon buried in the snow in a driveway

when I went over to my moms today. Going to go back

tomorrow and check it out. Did you see the 87 brat in the

thrifty adds the other day? Said it ran and wanted $400 for it.

IronHorse,

Been down South in St. George for a while. I understand I missed out on some -negative-temps! Glad I was down in the warnth!:D

I appreicate the info on the DMV site. Wonder if I need a Windshield to comply with DOT regs? The windshield issue is still up in the air and no decisions have been reached.

Didn't see any of the paper for the last week. $400 seems reasonable for a Brat. Sounds like a good starting platform. I believe that will be a 5 speed Brat. Good luck!

I'm looking for an 82-84 so my running gear will be compatible. I have a clutch that pops out when I lug it in first gear. :mad:

This could be obnoxious wheeling down a steep cliff.

Glenn,

82 Summer, waiting for spring.

01 Forester, used my A/C last weekend!