Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Utah Users Unite!

Just got back from Moab!

What a great place....

Only regret is, didn't take Summer with.:boohoo:

Did Hells Revenge,

Metal Masher,

Kane Creek,

If a guy prepared a Subie right I think all three of these trails could be Subed!

Glenn,

82 Summer,

01 Forester,

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found little moab yesterday... Crawled around it some... If I had a jacked up soob it would be pretty fun. I now know why they say it is easy to dent your ride, it is a rough patch of rock. There were a lot of jacked up jeeps and trucks all over that place. I was hoping to see another Soob but none showed up.

I am guessing you already know which dirt road off of redwood road takes you to the nutty putty caves. If not it is about 7 miles north of Elberta. If you are heading south then it will be the well used dirt road to the right just before you get to a dump with really high fences around it. Some call the dump the "baseball park."

So you head west into the hills several miles till you see the first little spot of rock off to the left close to the road on the east side of a hill. Keep going west and around the hill on the other side is another very little spot. All along you should be able to see the largest spot to the right or the north off in the distance. From the road it just looks like a bald bump on the south face of those small mountains and it stands out because of its lighter color. Once you see them you will know from all the tire marks and gouges all over the rock.

If you are on your way to nutty putty then you will pass right by all three spots and then you head north a few miles. If you have gone over the pass and find yourself looking into a very desolate valley then you have gone too far, but I doubt that will happen they are very easy to see.

I have some pics, but can't post them yet. Hope to see some Soobs up there sometime.

Killer pics, I recognize the area. I had no idea that was Little Moab? My Scouts are going to Nutty Putty cave this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm going with them or not. (I think I'd rather work on the buggy) I test fired it a few days ago---started up great after 9 months of "rest & transformation".

Is this your wagon in the pic?

How Subaruable is this area?

Glenn,

82 Summer, running but not finished.

01 Forester, running and finished!

That is my wgn...

There is a lot of rock and steep rough roads that a stock Soob can have fun crawling over. Then if you have a Soob with at least a 6inch lift then there is some pretty cool rock to play on. The great part about it is that is it soooo close to the SLC and Provo area. The down side is that if you show up at the wrong time it can be much too crowded.

I had a lot of people laughing at me for even just showing up with an old Soob, but I would like to think they were impressed with what it could do as long as I had clearance. I have to be careful since it is my ride to work and everything else. The week before I put a big dent in the oil pan shield with a rock that jumped out of the ground.

I would love to see other Soobs show up for a try at it. I hear the jacked up yellow hatch from Orem plays out there sometimes.

Jason,

Good to hear from you. Get deploied so you can get back!

In Moab, with a winch, we could have got Little Roo where ever we needed her. Lots of good vertical "kodak moments" :lol:

What's your angle of approach? You have a skid plate on that beast? I need to make one before Moab---even though it will just get torn off:eek:

By the way the beast is up and running :D I'll be doing some serious shake down work this spring, getting the bugs out of the buggy. I should have a tested and true rig when you return.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it started out as one....

01 Forester, still is.....

Hey Utah folks....

I have Hatch parts to give away......

See my post in the market place forum for info.

I'd like to see them live on rather than recycle them.

Think about dumb little parts you could use:confused:

No shipping charges if you pick them up!

Glenn,

82 Hatch, now with a new off-road look!

01 Forester, wannabe off-roader:eek:

Doors won't work, 2 door vs 4 door. Hood, fenders, windshield, mudflaps, gas cap covers, etc... will work.

Come take a look and see if there is anything you can use. It's probably all junk but it may be worth a look???

Give me a pm with your # and I'll call.

Thanks,

Glenn

82 Hatch, going, going......

01 Forester, keeps going & going!

• 3 weeks later...

Utah Update

Went through the San Rafael Swell last weekend. The Forester was at home in the desert terrain. As it was threatening to rain, My boy and I ended up sleeping in the Forester? I was thinking it was going to be painful getting elbowed all night folded up on a tiny car. It turns out that the Forester folds out nice and flat! My little boy didn't kick me all night like I was thinking. I was surprised at just how much room there really was! What a great campmobile!

At least half of the vehicles I saw were Subaru wagons of some sort! Must be a Subaru Mecca down in the San Rafael Swell?

Glenn,

82 Summer, up and raging!

01 Forester, campmobile! :banana:

• 4 weeks later...

IronHorse,

Good to hear from you...

Lots of great trails around these parts. I don't have a spare:confused:

I still need to figure that one out before I go to far from civilization.

I met with Hatchet last week and passed off some parts to him.

He's a nice guy. Sort of a real small meet and greet at my house.

Utah'ns are growing in number all the time:)

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

• 5 months later...

well I'm not in Utah.....BUT I do have a couple soobs, one being 4wd. Do you think my minitrucked Brat will make it through Moab:D I'm planning on building a big lifted Soob but it won't be for a few years since I still have my Brat to work on and my wagon which will be done up like the Brat:) Then we can go and wheel Moab!!!!:banana:

Well, here goes- my first post. I am not too far from you Sweet82. Millcreek area. Yes there are probably more Subarus here than anywhere else in the world!! (per capita) Could be because we live within a few miles of 8 or 9 world class ski resorts??? Maybe... I have owned and driven a few older soobs and am now looking for one for my teenage daughter. Found this site while looking for info on a car I found for sale. I doubt I will ever be taking a Subaru to Moab, though. (I have an Early Bronco for that.) Cheers!!!

• 2 weeks later...

New Utah Member :banana:

Well actually we stole him from OR. & WY. HARPUA is now residing in SLC, UT. with his little boys. We spent Saturday morning attaching his exhaust back to his Turbo :banghead: It's now happy again!

We (Utah) may soon have enough members to fill up a car! :lol:

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--collected snow Saturday

01 Forester--installed gauge pack in dash Saturday!---One Pimped Forester!