Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap....remote start?

Numbchux

I've been thinking about putting a remote start system on my wagon. but am not exactly sure what all would be involved, and how easy it would be to wire into an EA82/EJ22 harness. I suppose the engine stuff would be pretty easy, just 2 wires, one for main relay, one for starter....but I'm not sure....

It's just too cold up here, and the darn thing cools itself far too well (more proof, that a stock EA82 radiator is more than enough to cool the EJ22), the temp gauge doesn't even come alive by the time I get to school. and I hate putting all those miles on it with it so drastically under operating temp.

just 2 wires, one for main relay, one for starter....but I'm not sure....

Well, I put one on our 2000 Legaback, and there are a LOT more than two wires! Ours is an A/T, so maybe that is part of the equation. Still, read the instructions carefully, go slow and you shouldn't have any trouble. After living with the remote last winter, I don't know how we ever did without it.

Bulldog remote starter kit - $49.95 (0n sale).

Six-pack of beer to support installation crew (moi) - $6.95

The difference between climbing into a warm toasty windows defrosted car insted of a minus ten degree freezer locker - PRICELESS!

:lol:

This is one of the reasons I'm trying hard to find the '88-'89 5spd D/R. I plan on doing the EJ swap eventually, and the '88-'89 trans has a neutral safety switch. Hook that into the remote start (I'm pretty sure this allows use of an "automatic transmission" kit instead of a manual trans one).

Other than the transmission question, If you figured out all of the harness issues for the swap, installing the remote start should be cake.

remote starts are very easy to install. but i would caution you not to if your wagon is a manual. if left in gear it could start and drive off on you.( <=== this = No good)

I've got remote start on my EA81T Brat and it's got a switch that connects to the gearstick. When the gearstick is forwards or backwards of neutral position it won't start. That takes care of the car driving off on you issue.