Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ram Engines Did it again!

Jibs

I don't know how many of you click on Ramengines.com on a regular basis, but since I'm a dreamer I do.:lol: Check out their latest:

200hpea81007.jpg

Thats 200HP supercharged ea81.:eek: :eek: :eek: Just freakin awesome. Man I wish I had one of those in lifted.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out that oil pan! It must hold at least 6 quarts. Those rocker covers are pretty schweeet too!

The transition from the supercharger to the intake manifold looks pretty lame though. Unless it's shaped differently inside, they could have gotten a lot better flow.

Check out that oil pan! It must hold at least 6 quarts. Those rocker covers are pretty schweeet too!

The transition from the supercharger to the intake manifold looks pretty lame though. Unless it's shaped differently inside, they could have gotten a lot better flow.

Gotta agree with you on that Kelly. After they dump that amount of money into that to make it nice and whatnot, they could have done much better with the transition from the supercharger to the intake.

I saw this about a week ago.. drooling on the floor... and then after starring at pictures i realized it was an EA-81 :mad: WHEN WILL THEY DO SOMETHING UNREAL WITH MY ENGINE???????????????:burnout: :burnout:

When you loose the stupid timing belts and go for the OHV engine;)

I saw this about a week ago.. drooling on the floor... and then after starring at pictures i realized it was an EA-81 :mad: WHEN WILL THEY DO SOMETHING UNREAL WITH MY ENGINE???????????????

They won't - it's too unreliable for aircraft use. (timing belts :rolleyes:). So no one is willing to pay $15,000 for one to be built. It's also too wide, and too heavy. Broken t-belt at 10,000 feet would SuXor like you wouldn't beleive.

And the head design, as well as the silly bolt system that holds it on, is not strong enough for that kind of power without major modifications. The EA81 has very strong heads, and already uses studs for the heads (higher torque is actually possible)

Just get an EA81 if you want those parts. It will fit easily in an EA82 body.

GD

On a stock EA81 - probably around 85 or so - as much as you get from a Weber anyway - better driveability, no finicky choke or jets to contend with, and the possibility of Mega-squirt for tuning more heavily modified engines.

But the benefit isn't just power - SPFI runs at ANY angle as long as the fuel tank can suck gas. Won't sputter out on steep hills like a carb will so you have full power and correct mixture off road no matter how hard you shake the rig. It also already has a round air filter attachment that lends itself to simpler snorkel installations, and as you add modifications to your engine (better exhaust, high torque cam, SPFI pistons, etc, etc) the SPFI system is self-compensating for changes in engine airflow and fuel demand.

The SPFI EA82 is rated at 90 HP but has larger valves, more compression, and cams to match. I would give the SPFI a good 10 HP increase over a stock carb on the EA81 (so about 85 or so), and as above - it's about the same increase a Weber will give you, but in a far superior package.

GD

Broken t-belt at 10,000 feet would SuXor like you wouldn't beleive.

Yeah but at 10,000 feet, I reckon me and me mate could get it going again before we hit the ground :lol:

But yes the EA81 :headbang: would be choice over a EA82 :-\, If I had an L series I would find a nice EA81 for as fast as I could... or EJ :brow:

I miss the reliablitiy of the push rod engines.

I wouldn't mind 10 or 20 more HP over the SPFI EA82, but not at the cost of reliability.

What makes the higher compression? Bore & stroke or head or both?

Pistons, and shaved heads. You can easily get 10:1 with SPFI EA82 pistons, and shaved heads. 100 HP would be easily acheivable with the SPFI, and a high-compression EA81 with a modified cam. And it would be perfectly reliable - no question about that. The JDM EA81 dual carb's were 108 HP stock on the same internals. Reliability isn't a problem like it is with the EA82's.

The Subaru race spec EA82T's were 175 HP, and here's RAM showing 200 HP on an engine reliable enough not only for race, but for an aircraft engine. That's impressive and speaks volumes about the advantages the EA81 has over the EA82 in some very fundamental ways.

GD

really? ive always been told that its quite complicated and very few have pulled it off.

I've done it, and not only that, but soon I'm going to offer partial and maybe full kits to do the coversion yourself - I'll be making wireing harnesses, and distributors as well as putting a few full kits together. I'm working on a write up as we speak - so far it's about 12 pages long with just the text, and I haven't added any pictures yet. I just finished taking about 30 pics and the write up will be ready for a version 1 release soon. A small demostration:

SPFI_parts.jpg

GD