Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ram Engines Did it again!

Jibs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RAM does some awesome work and would have tested various intake designs. i am sure they chose the path they did for a reason.

they have custom pistons. last i stopped by and talked to them they said they would rebuild EA82's and even the XT6 ER27 with your choice of cast or forged high compression (higher than stock) pistons or cast or forged low compression turbo pistons. and i believe they can machine the piston head to be non-interference if i'm not mistaken.

Mr. Radon over at http://www.xt6.net rebuilt his XT6 ER27 engine with these pistons, check out his thread for pictures, details, weights of the pistons, etc.

I've done it, and not only that, but soon I'm going to offer partial and maybe full kits to do the coversion yourself - I'll be making wireing harnesses, and distributors as well as putting a few full kits together. I'm working on a write up as we speak - so far it's about 12 pages long with just the text, and I haven't added any pictures yet. I just finished taking about 30 pics and the write up will be ready for a version 1 release soon. A small demostration:

SPFI_parts.jpg

GD

thats pretty freakin cool, im a mechanic noob so anything thats easy to install is ok with me!

I think it would be a kick arse engine in a little subie.....But I love homebuilt aircrafts also.I would love to see the climb rate on a little 2 seater plane....Would absolutely be amazing.:)

Why a two seater Plane, when you can get a "Flying Subaru"? :brow: With those 200 wild horses of power, and a Lightweight Brat, you almost fly... :D

Or you can put Wings on your Impreza...

FlyingSubaru.jpg

:eek:

Yeah but at 10,000 feet, I reckon me and me mate could get it going again before we hit the ground :lol:...

10kfeet... maybe 30:1 glide slope (VERY optomistic)... 80knots... 30-40 minutes to replace snapped t-belt so that you can do the restart...

Earth gets a new crater!!!

10kfeet... maybe 30:1 glide slope (VERY optomistic)... 80knots... 30-40 minutes to replace snapped t-belt so that you can do the restart...

Earth gets a new crater!!!

Pushrods with all that air coming at them are great. I would chuck an ea81 in the ocean if I had to drive around in my soob with one, or maybe sell it to an aviator...I don't remember any decent ones here when I was growing up.The ea82 coming around was a pleasure even with the bad cam seals.

The t-belt theory being less reliable may be a hoax, I found a site that is flying an ej25 with 4 cams, one belt, and flew across the country with it...One trip.

The ea82, has proven to me in my recent accident, kept running on two driver side cylinders as I snapped the power steering around with ease and slammed on the vacuum controlled power brakes.All while the hit was hard enough to pinch the engine and cam sprocket caved in and bent badly. The EA82 has the best on the ground .Pushrods suck- I really mean it after my hobby with v8's, the soobs version is tighter than ever and nearly parallel to the ground instead of up down. One cam is doing alot, and I would never doubt the 2 belted ea82 in the air either.:)

T-belts will never be as reliable as a proper gear or chain drive. T-belts are cheap to manufacture and somewhat lighter; they are not used because they are better.

An aircraft engine is only as reliable as its weakest part(s). T-belts can fail at any time, even right out of the box. No place to pull over when your wheels are tucked in their wells...

Heres what I got from my Power Mechanics class a couple years ago regarding camshaft drive systems:

Cogged belts are light, strong, durable, but you would be lucky to breach 100k miles with them.

Chain driven systems are stronger than belts and more durable, but are heavy and can stretch, plus they wear out tensioners.

Gear driven systems can handle high speeds (F1), they are accurate and can have very tight packaging but are heavy, expensive and noisy compared to the other systems.

It all depends on your application. FHI could have used a chain or even gears on the EA82 engine, but it was simpler and more cost effective to use belts. One advertising slogan during the 80's was "Inexpensive and built to stay that way" and this was one of those things they did to ensure that.

my Ea82-T puts out more than 200hp and it didnt cost me $15000.

Ive been talking to ramengines for the past week and they do offer ea82 stuff.

Here's what I found :

EA82-T Wiseco Forged Racing Pistons 8.5:1 with Pins and locks $450-500 (oversizes in stock, STD 5 weeks out)

Custom EA82-T Graphite & Teplyon Head Gaskets $50/set (said to hold more than stock)

The guy was cool and knows his stuff, I think ramengines.com does killer work but that $15k ea81 is majorly overpriced imho.

my Ea82-T puts out more than 200hp and it didnt cost me $15000.

Sure - but would you trust it at 10,000 feet? Oh wait.... your engine wouldn't make 200 HP at 10,000 feet because your FI computer isn't altitude compensated..... you lose 3% for every 1000 feet above sea level. So knock 30% off your HP.

$15k ea81 is majorly overpriced imho.

Again - you are not buying just an engine - you are buying peice of mind that it's done right, and done right the first time (might be the only chance you get). The engine itself is secondary to reliability. Try pricing out a FAA approved power plant sometime.... REALLY expensive, and much shorter maintenance intervals. Just parts for these things can be more expensive than a whole new EA81....

GD

Sure - but would you trust it at 10,000 feet? Oh wait.... your engine wouldn't make 200 HP at 10,000 feet because your FI computer isn't altitude compensated..... you lose 3% for every 1000 feet above sea level. So knock 30% off your HP.

Again - you are not buying just an engine - you are buying peice of mind that it's done right, and done right the first time (might be the only chance you get). The engine itself is secondary to reliability. Try pricing out a FAA approved power plant sometime.... REALLY expensive, and much shorter maintenance intervals. Just parts for these things can be more expensive than a whole new EA81....

GD

I do have altitude compensation with my engine managment system im running..........?

But I might have a point on the FAA stuff.

First off, it is somewhat humorous to see GD getting caught out as wrong on one thread, after seeing him recognize that steveman was running aftermarket engine management in another thread....

but back on topic, I was going to say that as a turnkey airplane engine, $15K might not be such a price to naysay. GD already made that point far better than I could have.

And regarding the timing chain systems, and why the soobs have belts, of course. Cheaper to engineer, cheaper to manufacture, cheaper to maintain and repair (out of warranty and at customer expense, OR under warranty and at subaru's expense) It goes without saying. My point was simply, that I prefer working with an engine that has no timing belts to worry about... but DOES have a camshaft up top there, right under the valve cover... :grin:

They won't - it's too unreliable for aircraft use. (timing belts :rolleyes:). So no one is willing to pay $15,000 for one to be built. It's also too wide, and too heavy. Broken t-belt at 10,000 feet would SuXor like you wouldn't beleive.

And the head design, as well as the silly bolt system that holds it on, is not strong enough for that kind of power without major modifications. The EA81 has very strong heads, and already uses studs for the heads (higher torque is actually possible)

Just get an EA81 if you want those parts. It will fit easily in an EA82 body.

GD

http://www.tomair.com.au/html/our_aircraft.php

http://www.sdsefi.com/air1.html :)

First link shows a CGI image of a plane, and lists it in the specs..... but I don't see that anyone has ever built one.

Second link is clearly a mistake - the picture is of someone else's plane, and it looks like it's got a EJ in it....

GD

Hmm... timing belts are unreliable??? Then why do they use them on every vehicle on this planet?????

they dont.

they use them on most modern automobiles, because they are cheap to manufacture, cheap to repair/replace, and easy to maintain.

MOST trains and planes don't use them, nor large trucks, nor ANY pushrod motor (all your oldskool american V8s, NASCAR engines, etc.. OHV.)

They Break. Reliably. That is a concrete, indisputable fact. they break before most of the rest of the engine does (unless said engine was a Taiwanese Yugo-knockoff..) Why would you engineer something like that into a vehicle that is designed to be supported by nothing more than the lift, created by the thrust, provided by the engine? Airplane engines are not built by people who have the term "planned obsolescence" in their vocabulary. They are built by men who dont want people to die :eek:

When a truly reliable machine is desired, chains or gears (or OHV) are used. Whether that machine is a Street car, a work truck, a pump station, or an airplane...

EDIT

And yes, as phiz mentions below, this has gotten WAAAY offtopic. sorry, lets try and drop it :grin:

Guys... c'mon... Get over it, EA what ever, they are both good, both bad, and as always some will like one, some will like the other and some will hate them both.

The way I see it is the EA82 is a modified EA81, so in my world you can get a EA81 to get the same power without ANY possiblilty as to break a belt/chain. I have only heard 1 story about a bent pushrod in the 19months or so I have been here and I have heard 2050584894906034 stories of t-belt trouble...... You do the math... :rolleyes:

I personally drive a EA81dc with the different heads (not as cool as those ones on the SUB4/RAM engine) but still better flow. And I can feel the 100hp vs stock EA81 80hp. I can't see how you couldn't get my motor to 150hp with a turbo or SC with no troubles. :headbang:

Anyway, thats what I think. And really, I don't give a bloody chickens rear end what you think. :lol:

As for the timing belt change in 40mins... Very possible if there was two of you and it was made so there was no fan/radiator in front of you.. But I wouldn't like to be on the out side of a plain at 5k-10k feet hanging on and changing a belt. I'd much prefer to keep flying with my push rodies! :burnout: