Ultimate Subaru Message Board

damn egr light is on

Alright guys.. 86 GL Wagon 4wd EA82 w/Hitachi carb.. 5 speed man.

A few weeks ago my egr light came on. I checked the EGR valve itself and it still moves like its supposed to (when I push it shut it makes my car sputter out) so I assume the valve is still good...

How do I get that damn light to turn off?? (I heard theres a reset switch somewhere, but I can't find it and its not in the Haynes Manual) its really annoying driving at night with a red light shining in my eyes , :banghead: plz help

I said screw it and drove over to the subaru dealer and made them show me exactly where the reset is.. You have to remove the kick panel over the fusebox, then unscrew the fusebox right behind where the fusebox was up and to the left is where the reset wires are.. :banana:

Originally posted by Flowmastered87GL

did it magically come on at a mileage of 60, 120 or 180K? (approx) IF so just swap the connectors under the dash... I think there is a green and blue one, just unplug from blue and plug into green, or unplug green and plug into blue... should be under the steering column somewhere if I remember right

Yeah The Light went out.. If I remember correctly.. back in the day when I first got the car (35,000 miles - one owner, my mom) I think the egr light came on at 50 or 55,000 miles and it had to be reset.... Car runs great.. if the EGR really went out, the car would run like **** wouldnt it?

Originally posted by toybuilder

Did it make the light go out, or do you still have a problem?

I wasn't aware that our cars had any mileage triggered warning lights...