Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car breakdown... need to replace immediately, what Subaru to buy ???

Sorry about the urgency, but visiting friend's car appears to have broken completely and need to replace ASAP in order to get them back home, about 300 miles away, to get to work.

The tow service has a 1998 Legacy Outback with 112,000 miles that they will sell for $7500, and will give $500 - $1700 (unseen range) for the 1990 Toyota dual-cab pickup that the engine seems to have gone out on (were going to try to get that scoped out in the morning at the local repair garage).

Quick thoughts ?

7500 is way too much especially considering they will prob just be auctioning it off anyways.. Id say 4500-5500 for seattle area.

Sorry about the urgency, but visiting friend's car appears to have broken completely and need to replace ASAP in order to get them back home, about 300 miles away, to get to work.

The tow service has a 1998 Legacy Outback with 112,000 miles that they will sell for $7500, and will give $500 - $1700 (unseen range) for the 1990 Toyota dual-cab pickup that the engine seems to have gone out on (were going to try to get that scoped out in the morning at the local repair garage).

Quick thoughts ?

7500 is way too much especially considering they will prob just be auctioning it off anyways.. Id say 4500-5500 for seattle area.

Thanks much for the replies !

Im amazed at the responsiveness of this board.

BTW, Edmunds shows about $4000-5000 so sounds like all are in the ballpark.

Also sounds like there is nothing inherently a problem with that year/model so if our mechanic says its ok then 5500 or so may not be too bad ?

Thanks again for your help !

Yah that's way too much, I paid less than that for a '00OBW with less miles last year from a used car dealer. They might just know that you're kind of in a hurry and are hoping you'll bite. If they'll come down to like $5k or so that would be much better, just don't let them play any games with you with the trade and stuff like that. Now that '98 is that one of the years with the potential head gasket issues?

Yah that's way too much, I paid less than that for a '00OBW with less miles last year from a used car dealer. They might just know that you're kind of in a hurry and are hoping you'll bite. If they'll come down to like $5k or so that would be much better, just don't let them play any games with you with the trade and stuff like that. Now that '98 is that one of the years with the potential head gasket issues?

Yes, the Legacy didn't get the 2.5L SOHC Phase II until MY2000.

Now that '98 is that one of the years with the potential head gasket issues?

Think ur reply is right on in more ways than one.

In fact the 98 thing was mentioned in an earlier thread I had on this board and got some very good info, http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66161 , including about the 98 problem, eg...

Get at least a 99. The 98s had the same phase 1 engine he has now with a bit more chance of head gasket failure and much harder to work on. The phase 2 that starts at 99 in Forester and 2000 up in Legacies is a simpler single cam which is an improvement.

Oddly enough I have a 99 Forester for this reason. You can still have a head gasket leak but it tends to be an external one that can be cured by a sealer, or the early ones have an extended warranty on the head gaskets until about 100,000 miles if I recall correctly.

They still need to have the oil level ket up though.

Thanks much again !!

Why doesn't your friend rent a car to get back home? Then maybe it won't be such an urgent matter to get a replacement vehicle quickly.

Then maybe they can look around when they get home. -SQ93

Quick thoughts ?

get on craigslist and find a subaru much cheaper with a 2.2 in it. you daily find great cars in the $1,000 - $3,000 range for sale. also try autotrader.com, punch in your zipcode and look for a private sale subaru. you're likely to find a much better deal and hopefully someone with some service records or knowledge of the vehicle.

that legacy has a 2.5. i would worry less about a 2.5 that i know more about. but one that's being traded in, sold on a lot, at a tow station....those are suspect. if YOU had a 2.5 to sell with a bad headgasket what would you do, sell it privately yourself or trade it in and sell it to a lot to deal with? others on this group have bought a 2.5 and shortly after found head gasket symptoms. all i'm sayhing is don't pay top dollar for a 2.5 you do'nt know much about (i don't pay top dollar for anything). $7,500 is horse************. see how this editing software does.....

I've been concidering parting with my 96 OBS, its got a few minor dents, an EGR related check engine light and a clunk in the rear, but other than that its straight. Its even got forester struts and the WRX wagon rear sway bar.

I think KBB rates it at 4200, in its condition, but i'd be willing to take 3250 for it.

You want it, come get it. Sorry I don't have pictures. They were on USMB.net.

Its a 2.2 Brand new CCR W/10k, Auto, blue and theres a radio shack CB in the dash, but the antenna isn't hooked up yet.

Renting a car might not be a bad option if a suitable vehicle can't be found quickly enough, but if it's a one way rental make sure s/he knows about any surcharges first, like some places will charge by the mile with no free miles on top of the regular rental fee plus potentially a one way surcharge on top of that.