Ultimate Subaru Message Board

getting the moisture out of headlights

cam someone please tell me the process of opening my headlights. i know you put them in the oven but i dont know for how long or what temp thanks!

SG

i've never tried this but it may help:

you could probably just dump out the water as much as possible and then put a hairdryer where the bulb goes and run it for a couple of minutes to dry them out.

Well, Long long time Ago... (Back in `90s) my white EA82 Wagon got a Loose Bulb (I dropped the Battery hittin` the Bulb`s Base) so then the Headlight got Water (Not just moisture, it was about two ounces of Water) `cos I washed the Engine...

I did get out the entire Headlight, and then I removed some water by Chakin` it without bulb, and then I putted it in the Floor, and connected in a 110V, a 150Watts Reflector bulb, facin` the Headlight for three hours... it became too hot, so the Water and moisture did evaporate and gone.

But be Carefull: some 110V reflectors may come too Hot, and can break the Glass of the Headlight, or Burn plastics (or Skin) so, be Carefull.

Good Luck! :)

He's actually taking the lamp assembly and baking it till the sealant can be pulled apart to open the casing. Then you clean out the innards, and smoke them with some paint if you like. Then bake the parts to soften the goop again and push em back together. Pretty sure this has the added benefit that it should seal any holes that have formed in the sealant too.

I want to try it sometime myself...

GD

a convection oven at 250 degrees for whatever it takes works excellent. I am guessing even lower temps cure it too.Overbaking brings a hint of black color in the reflective part of back of lense, even then, it still works great (I overbaked one - nothing broke).

:)

you might try putting some dessicant into the light, it's the little packs you find in sneaker boxes and nail boxes or anything else that needs to stay dry during shipping. just open the little paper envelope and put a few grains in the light enclosure. as long as there are no cracks it should eliminate any fogging.

Try some alcohol.
Done and done.

Now I don't care a bit about the water in my headlights.

... what happens when I sober up?

-=Russ=-

Classic!

Russ, that didn't hurt your shoulder too bad there, when he twisted your arm, did it???

back on topic, this is a GREAT thread! common car knowledge that is NOT that common! thanks again, USMB! :headbang:

Classic!

back on topic, this is a GREAT thread! common car knowledge that is NOT that common! thanks again, USMB! :headbang:

Yea, a good one. I have a box of these lights that are leakers slated for repair at a future date. Good glass deserves saving around here.

On a side note, of all the ones I have, out of six or eight drivers side headlights, ONE doesn't leak. The passenger side is less likely to be that way. What's this mean? I don't know, it's just what I'm seeing.