Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to the Board w/questions

Hi All,

My name is Louis and I am new to this board as well as Subarus.

I have always liked them, but for whatever reason, no Subaru has ever been added to the list of literally dozens of makes and models I have owned. Now that has changed. My wife wanted a new STI so I compromised and bought her the next best thing. I bought her (okay, maybe me too) a '91 4wd Loyale wagon for $200. The catch is... one of the timing belts broke and the "mechanic" who replaced the belts for the PO botched the job. My money is on the right belt being 180 out as the car will "run", but barely and it backfires.

Anyway, my wife (or friend) and I are going to retrieve it in my other $200 car in a few days so I want to be prepared.

My question? Can the tensioner be loosened/adjusted through the holes in the center cover to time that cam? The Haynes manual I have doesn't mention the tensioners except with ALL the covers off (that I could find anyway). Any pointers for the easiest access to do this job will be greatly appreciated. Please bear in mind that while familiar with the basic design, I haven't really looked at a subie motor up close, but am going by the pictures in the manual for details.

Thanks in advance

Louis in Central Connecticut

Yes. There are 4 holes in the center cover. Each one is directly over one of the tensioner bolts. You can remove the passenger side and driver side timing covers fairly easy, leave the center cover on so you don't have to pull the crank pulley.

There isn't much room to work with the radiator in there.

Good luck.

to keep from creating bad blood for anyone involved and oopsing on your first go at the timing belts.... i would suggest towing it home and that way you can work on it in the driveway etc and do it with Much LEss urgency... that and your only a few steps from food or drink when you want it. :>)

of the PC to post an "um what now" if this isn't the issue. :>)

that's what I'd do....

i'll bet the timing belts were timed to 0 deg instead of the 3 marks.

the dist could be timed to the 3 marks, i used to make that mistake, but if it was a fairly competent mechanic, he would know to do distributor timing to the degrees marks.

its possible the cams could be in the same orientation, with either one cam on time and the dist on time, but the other cam would be 180 deg off, and this the car would be running on 2 cylinders, and the dead cylinders firing on the exhaust stroke

tom picked up the the xt6 and the belts were out of time

(tom, where you at?)

take it home first, its not too complicated if you can use a wrench and follow directions.

the haynes book is fairly comprehensive. but if you look at the pictures alone, it will throw you off.

if you had the right tools, and kept touch with the message board, its something you can do on your own.

since you are getting an otherwise good soob, and you are getting the price because it doesnt run.

once running, it would be worth more than what you got it for sure, and it wouldnt cost you anyhing to fix the belt and get it to run. (ecxept for a service book or maybe a few tools