Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about buying a 87 gl...

Im looking at a 87 4wd gl hatchback. No rust on it and only 105k. Nothing seems to be leaking, but I heard some clicking from the right CV. What kinda worried me though was that the coolant was pretty low, there were some brown rust colored flakes in the tranny fluid, and there was probably some issue with the carb because it was running a little rough and took a bit of work to start.

How durable are the 3 speed autos on these cars? Are there any issues I should look out for?

How durable are the 3 speed autos on these cars? Are there any issues I should look out for?

They really aren't all that durable. 105k shouldn't be too bad, but the autos are usually lucky to make it to 200k, and many die long before that. If the fluid looks nice and smells nice, and the thing shifts like warm butter I would probably say it's fine. If not - run the other way. If you get it, definately consider having the tranny power flushed and the filter changed, and keep doing that on a yearly basis. Also a good idea to have the control valve completely dissasembled and cleaned when they do the flush. This will help keep it clean and shifting properly, and will prevent the governor gear from eating itself (transmission death if that happens).

GD

So I pointed out the flakes in the tranny fluid to the guy. He started telling me that the car sat for a while and those are rust flakes that formed on the tranny dipstick? Im pretty sure hes full of crap, but I just wanted to get your opinion before I tell him to bleeping bleep himself.

Have any of you guys ever heard of fluid looking flaky because its been sitting for a while?

Btw this same guy is asking 2000 for the car? I think thats completely insane... What do you guys think?

where are you located?? your profile says "international", and some places outside of US and Australia might well fetch 2,000 USD for something along those lines.... but ANYwhere in the states, 2K is WAY to much to pay for a car that will likely need a new tranny in short order (judging by your statement of flakes in the fluid)