Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carrier bearing.............

dixracing

why is it so difficult to get one of these? .........holy moly. may the gurus of soobies please enlighten me? stories from hell? or close to? thanks....:D

Never had a problem getting them before. Where are you trying to find one? Do you have any driveline shops in your area? You could always go to the PaP in Oly and pull a couple of used ones.

I don't know why, but when I did my 5sp DR swap from auto and then the lift, I looked at that bearing and said to my self, "bet that's gonna be hard to find if I ever have to replace it."

Personally, I don't care to much for the idea of JY bearings, but that's just me. I care less for the idea of $200 bearings though!!

Fortunately I don't need one right now, which is surprising to me, as the one I'm running has a couple hundred thou on it.

I think when either U joints or carrier bearing bite the dust, I'll just switch to custom one piece drive line. Make sense?

Pyro

i thought about a one peice .....but with the 8" lift i think the driveline would be hanging kinda low .......wouldn't it?

Yea, that sounds right to me. Steep angles would maybe wear out the joints too fast also, correct?

I'm only lifted 3 inches, so might not be a problem. Truth is, I don't know.

But before I'd spend two bill on a new carrier, think I'll look into one piece custom drive line. (unless somebody advises against it that is)

PS. I just brought home a wire feed MIG welder!!!!!!!! 90 bucks and a beat up Ruger 10/22 I didn't use anymore! Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not a Lincoln, but at that price (everything works) I'm happy!

Pyro

i thought about a one peice .....but with the 8" lift i think the driveline would be hanging kinda low .......wouldn't it?

I don't understand how it could matter. if you're not dropping the carrier bearing down that far anyway, you're going to toast those u-joints backing out of the driveway.

I'd go one-peice or junkyard. wouldn't even consider a new bearing.