Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 LOYALE Timing Belt Broke, low on oil

Thank you all for your input and assistance. You not only provided some helpful insight, but you also gave me a little confidence that it shouldn't be a big job.

I got it all back up and running today and I must say, I really appreciate the time you took to reply to my post.

It took me 4 hours, including getting the belts from the auto store. I did not repack the bearings or any extra stuff, but I did change both belts. I decided to put the cover back on. Not that I don't trust that it will work, but just for some completion to the project. They are in good shape and now broken threads so I decided why not? Some of you are probably saying 4 hours is a bit long, but I try to go slow and not screw anything up... plus I am slow. I think that if I did it again I could do it in 1 or 2 hours. (probably less if I left the covers off)

If there are others looking to do this job I have a few pointers from a newbies perspective...

1. Ask they questions you have, but do a search through USMB first. You will probably find your answers.
  2. DO NOT TAKE THE ENGINE OUT. That would be a total waste of time. There is plenty of room once you take out the fans.
  3. No need to take the alternator or the air conditioner off. Just move the alternator to the side and leave the AC unit where it is.
  4. No need to take out the radiator. Again, plenty of room.
  5. My crankshaft bolt was on pretty tight. No need taking off the started or sticking a screwdriver in the top of the transfer case If you have a manual transmission.. just put it in 5th gear and pull the E-Brake up hard. With a breaking bar, turn the bolt counter clockwise. If it is still not coming out.. hit it with a rubber mallet. 3 wacks did the trick for me.
  6. Don't ever sell your subi. You won't get enough money what it is worth and how easy it is to repair, once you know what you are doing.

Thanks again for all of your feedback and advice.

-M

4 hours is about right, especially for a first time (well, at least with the engine in the car).

I think when I changed the t-belts on the wagon, took me about 3 hours for my first time ever. I didn't put the covers back on though. I just ripped 'em off because the suckers didn't want to come off.

Now doing the t-belts with the engine out of the car, 15 minutes, 5 of which were spent searching for the bag of t-belt bolts :grin: Not that I would ever take the enigne out of the car just to do t-belts.

I've done both belts and a new oil pump gasket in 20 minutes without the covers. :lol:

But yeah - 4 hours is fine. It would take me that long to do one with covers because it would be (by default) the first time I would have that engine apart. Thus I would be checking everything, and removing the cam sprockets to get the rear covers off.

Personally I always remove the radiator - it's only two bolts, and I leave the fan attached to it. But then I have big hands, and I am sort of attached to the flesh and would rather keep it if possible.

GD