Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Wont engage in 2wd

Works ok in 4wd but cant select gears in 2wd, clutch seems fine when in 4wd so I dont think that is the problem. Also blew a axle on the same day....can you still drive around ok temporarily because it only seems to affect the car at low speeds. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Sounds like a stripped axle joint or hubspline. How did it "blow" the axle, has it been repaired, and how?

It won't move in 2WD because one front tranny stub is turning without its wheel getting the power.

Thanks northwest......there was a fair bit of black soot on the rear left side axle (non drivers side in my country) so I dont know why the rear axle would affect the front wheel drive system. The gearbox is not engaging in FWD but is fine in 4wd. Thanks.

The gearbox is always engaged in FWD: The pinion is driven directly by the gearsets, The rear output shaft can be selectively decoupled from the countershaft/front pinion. If you are not getting driving power in FWD, then (unless there is catastrophic damage in the front diff area) either a front hub's splines are stripped (VERY common) or a DOJ or CV is stripped. Have a brave soul look at the front axles from the engine compartment while you try to make it move in FWD.

The gearbox is always engaged in FWD: The pinion is driven directly by the gearsets, The rear output shaft can be selectively decoupled from the countershaft/front pinion. If you are not getting driving power in FWD, then (unless there is catastrophic damage in the front diff area) either a front hub's splines are stripped (VERY common) or a DOJ or CV is stripped. Have a brave soul look at the front axles from the engine compartment while you try to make it move in FWD.

Cheers again Northwet.... I had a look in daylight and you are correct....it looks like the CV joint has stripped away from the front right wheel. It may not be the CV joint as i am only a novice but steering has not been affected and as mentioned before it drives fine in 4wd. Is this a simple replacement part swap over or could more sinister damage have occurred? heres a pic for those of you in the know.

post-21001-136027619173_thumb.jpg Inner front

post-21001-136027619181_thumb.jpg Left Rear

That front axle looks worked.

First thing that might be of temporary assistance it to make sure the castle nut (36mm) on that front axle is tight and hope that it didn't completely destroy the hub.

If that nut is not loose, its time for a new axle and probably a decent junkyard hub. if you are reasonbly handy with tools, the repair shouldn't take more than an afternoon.

EDIT.. nevermind.. That front axles is destroyed. Pop the spring pin out of the DOJ side and drive it like that if you must (RWD).. Be sure to leave the stub in the hub or the car flat out will not roll...Personally, I would just look for a new axle ;)