Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Group Buy: Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Hoods

Marck

I know that there have been attempts to organize group buys for carbon fiber hoods before, but I'll give it another shot. My friend works with somebody that makes carbon fiber hoods in Southern California. I have looked into it and we need 10 people for a group buy. To get an idea, here is a link to one of the many hoods they make: http://www.shobrosgarage.com/product_info.php?cPath=156_104&products_id=283

You can choose between fiberglass or carbon fiber, and if you choose carbon fiber you can choose between different colors. See the pic at the bottom of the site to see what some of the available colors are.

Carbon fiber hoods for all EA82 cars will cost nearly $400 plus $165 for shipping (unless you pick it up). Fiberglass will be a little cheaper by about $50. A colored carbon fiber hood may cost a little more by about $75.

The design of the 10 hoods must be the same. I propose a stock looking EA82 hood with a WRX style hoodscoop (for us turbo guys). Or if the majority rather not have the hood scoop, then we can do that instead.

EA81 and XT folk, the deal is probably the same - you just need ten people to commit and a donor hood.

So who for sure wants one?

EA82(T)

1) Marck

2) BlindSight

3) Caboobaroo

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Good luck.

I'd strongly suggest getting deposits/down payments on these before committing to the order.

Not to discourage you, but over in the RX-7 community, there have been a LOT of "Who wants XYZ?" type posts, with people saying "I'll buy one for sure!" then when the time comes to pay, "Uh... maybe next paycheck... yea."

I'm not currently in the position to buy one, but I have been considering something like this. Do you happen to have numbers for the stock hood weight vs what the CF one would weigh? I know the stocker is *heavy* - I'd guess upwards of 60lbs.

-=Russ=-

Good luck.

I'd strongly suggest getting deposits/down payments on these before committing to the order.

Not to discourage you, but over in the RX-7 community, there have been a LOT of "Who wants XYZ?" type posts, with people saying "I'll buy one for sure!" then when the time comes to pay, "Uh... maybe next paycheck... yea."

I'm not currently in the position to buy one, but I have been considering something like this. Do you happen to have numbers for the stock hood weight vs what the CF one would weigh? I know the stocker is *heavy* - I'd guess upwards of 60lbs.

-=Russ=-

+1 on getting the money beforehand.

I doubt the stock hood is 60 lbs... more like 35-40 or so I'd say.

As far as the hood goes, its a bit too rich for my blood... Of the 2 EA82 cars I have, one I paid $200 for and the other $400... theres no way I'm gonna put a $565 hood on either one of those cars.:-\

Good luck with the sale tho!:banana:

Good luck.

-=Russ=-

Thanks for the tip. I don't know the weight for the stock EA82 hood. The weight of the CF hood for the EA82 is unknown since it hasn't been made yet, but the ford taurus w/ cowl weighs 23lbs. The EA82 hood is smaller than the taurus hood, so it should be a little less.

I build Fiberglass molds at my job , with someones help we could wip out a few, my question is the mounting and the front latch

Well, mounting for me could be four aluminum hood pins. The hood would just need to stay in one piece. All the rest are details. The quality of the hood used for the mold a critical point. Build them inexpensivly but structually sound. A basic fiberglass hood, a blank, no holes, no scoops, no fussing with inserts for hinges and hood catch, additional structure and weight for all of the above.

Any color you want as long as it's black, that sort of thing.

A

I build Fiberglass molds at my job , with someones help we could wip out a few, my question is the mounting and the front latch

How much are we talking? Will you really commit to making us some hoods? I'll definantly buy one carbon fiber or fiberglass hood from you if you can do a quality job.

In the mean time, lets continue working on recruiting people in the group buy. Who else wants one?

With properly installed hood pins, faster than an EA82 Subaru will go. Faster than even an EJ modded one will go.

-=Russ=-

Just a quick question.....I hear "rice" mentioned alot...what does it mean?

Hoods sound good, but being on the other side of this huge world, freight would kill me.

Just a quick question.....I hear "rice" mentioned alot...what does it mean?

Hoods sound good, but being on the other side of this huge world, freight would kill me.

rice means ghetto modded like using alumnium foil to fix your distributer using home depot rubber connectors for your air intake etc... basically it boils down to held together with bailing wire, it can also be used to describe a car that has been visually upgraded to a how could it look any worse degree

what kind of price would you ask?

Take a look at any MFG site on fiberglass hoods for reference. At U.S. body for instance: "Heavy Duty" meaning bolt on, about $500.00. "Race weight" pin on about $300.00. This for an, I would assume for these purposes, low production, slow seller, plain hood. I picked a Dodge Valiant.

So who here would pay $500.00 plus freight for a hood? How about $300.00 plus freight?

Scott, I have no doubt you could sell them here if you decided to make some. Give me a price, and I'll give you an answer.

Doug

powers been off a couple days here , if a couple guys could help me out we could make them but its not a project Im willing to take on by myself, , I have a bunch of my own projects that are not getting done .I will be making a hood for my offroader it will be one peice hood/fenders/grill , leave the rear half the hood and fenders cut at centerline of wheel , be custom with small round headlights and front corners bobbed kind of like the hoods they put on Baja bugs:banana:

powers been off a couple days here , if a couple guys could help me out we could make them but its not a project Im willing to take on by myself, , I have a bunch of my own projects that are not getting done .I will be making a hood for my offroader it will be one peice hood/fenders/grill , leave the rear half the hood and fenders cut at centerline of wheel , be custom with small round headlights and front corners bobbed kind of like the hoods they put on Baja bugs:banana:

ive done lots of custom fiberglass on cars for stereo systems. if u get some ideas on like hood brackets. i have some ideas. another is i think being so light to eliminate trying to figure out a front latch, i would try to have open from the windshield including the cowl.which has always been a better source for air induction. anyways thats an idea with out going outside and looking.

Are there any interest in the CF Hood? I was told by the seller that the CF Hood would be less than the $395 hood for the Ford Taurus. I rounded up to $400 in my original post, but it will actually be cheaper. So will dropping the $400 price tag by $10 to $40 help? The $165 dollar flat rate shipping is a bear, but maybe we can work something out. Maybe somebody local can pick the hoods up and ship them at a lower cost?

Or are board members going to produce their own fiberglass hoods? Whats going on with this?

What's the point? The EA82 hood is light enough to pick up and move around easily - every actually weigh one? It's pretty insignificant really. you are looking at a savings of 25 lbs? Go on a diet. I can think of a lot more poductive ways to spend $400. That's about $16 per pound of lost weight - I can buy a lot of sawzall blades, fiberglass, and rivets for that much.

I guess if you want it for the "look", but then why not just use the $400 towards a nicer rig?

GD