Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plan B..er C? D?.....A New Plan

keltikrewser

since i finally decided what i'm doing with the new SB, and since my XT finally gave out on me, i decided to put the er27 into my '66 baja and build my self a nice daily until i get the SupaRu going.

what am i going to need from my XT before i send it to cindy's? does anyone have a list of parts ill need for doing a full engine swap? i know i need the ecu out of the trunk, the engine harness, and the mess of copper and plastic in between, do i need anything from the dash/dash computer? anything else? i've tried searching but with dial up, a crappy old computer and limited time it's hard to find much of anything :-\

currently my '66 has no wiring at all, not sure if thats going to make my job easier or not but thats where im starting from.

thank in advance

ryan

p.s. if anyone needs any XT-6 parts let me know.

seems like every one is going with front mount rads. so i thought id post some pics of my rear mount setup and see what you guys think.

i have not run the engine with this set up, but when i built it we tested it with an air gun blowing near the front of the car and got significant air flow on the back side of the rad, above the engine. my plan is to use a fan on the engine side to pull the air through the ducts/radiator. i don't have the tubing in right now that connects the window ducts to the shroud, but you can see where it goes from the window to the rad shroud. comments welcome/encouraged!! enjoy.

bug_003.jpg

rad. shroud in package tray area

bug_004.jpg

rad shroud/inside of window duct. i plan on swithing to lexan windows in the future due to the LARGE blind spots the block outs create.

bug_008.jpg

radiator with shroud removed.

bug_007.jpg

the engine side of the radiator, this is where the fan will go to pull the air through the windows/rad.

bug_006.jpg

front view of window duct.

bug_005.jpg

outside view of window.

bug_009.jpg

rear view of duct.

yes that is a mud tire 33x12.5 to be exact, i'll try to get some side shots later this week. i'm plannind on switching to lexan with NACA ducts in them. i just got the bug up to my new house, its been sitting like this since i finished school 6 yrs ago, god that makes me feel old :rolleyes:

i'm hoping that the ducts will be sufficient, they are 4" dia. tube,there are alot of cars on the road with smaller air intakes than that, unfortunatly they got to play in wind tunnels, i don't.:( when i tested it out at school we got almost as much air coming through the radiator as past the outside of the car, no data or mesurements, just by feel.

i haven't decided if im going to use one larger fan or two smaller ones, not sure what will move more air. the radiator i'm using is out of an '83 T-bird, along with the engine thats bolted on back right now. i'm planning on getting an aluminum radiator in the future.

as far as the noise goes im hoping that some dynamat, padding and carpet will take care of it, the air box itself seals off the engine bay from the passanger compartment, so it shouldn't be too much different than the package try, a chunck of sheet metal between you and the engine....i hope.

any way thanks for the coments, i'll try and get some more pics up this week.

later

ryan

my SupaRu is my '73 Super Beetle that will hopefully house a full STI drive train, or at least a healthy 2.5 and AWD. my original plan was to make my '66 bug awd, but when i stummbled apon the '73 Super bug and did some measurements, making the subaru engine and trans work will be much easier than in the standard bug. the super's front end is about 4" longer than the standard and that is where i was running into problems. i expect that it will be several years before i am able to really dig into it, unless i win the lottery :D

plus if you turn the "b" in subaru upside down, then it spells suparu :grin::clap:

sorry im easily amused

til later

ryan :burnout:

edit: i'll try and get those side shots uploaded in the next couple of days.

Where are the vin's located on the 66 bugs?

I have heard the door pillar and the windshield dash area?

I'm looking at one that has neither?

Where else could I look for a vin?

Thanks,

Glenn

All Beetles have the VIN stamped in the top of the pan (frame) tunnel under the back seat, the body tag with the number in under the hood in the spare tire well. Check both, if there's a miss match there could be a problem with the title. I think they started putting the VIN in the lower left corner of the window in '68.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

the airflow characteristics i was looking at with my dubrod had the placement exactly where you are locating it.i actually was going to take the entire firewall and flipupside down with the 90 degree angle going into the cabin and just add sides.cut a hatch and voile'.with more room you are able to mount pretty much whatever fan you wanted including ,possible a 12 volt operated squirrel cage fan,otherwise known as a heater fan on steroidws(was going tobuild if could not buy reasonably).was hoping to find one with enough power that it could push hot air from the radiator through something like you have into the cabin for heat.just thoughts of the maniacal carbuilder in me.who knows.yours is definitely on the level.the only other thing i came up with was to build a roof wide scoop about an inch tall to curve down through the side pillars in the rear with sculpted venting onto the radiator,wait,your building a baja.why don't you just get a roof vent and pipe it to your radiator.i was dealing with a rod.you have the perfect out ,at least it seems that way to me.cheers,brian

thanks for all the coments. i'm hoping the NACA ducts in both back windows will provide enough air that i don't have to use a roof scoop, but that is one of my backup plans. sorry i haven't gotten the side shots up yet i tried to upload them today and it wouldn't let me, i might try taking some smaller shots and getting them up this week.

im pulling the motor out of my XT-6 this week while im off work, is there any thing else that i will need to make it run in my bug, any relays, electical, sensors, or vacume stuff out of the engine bay? im planning on pulling the whole engine harness/ecu, just want to make sure i don't miss anything.

thanks again

ryan

im pulling the motor out of my XT-6 this week while im off work, is there any thing else that i will need to make it run in my bug, any relays, electical, sensors, or vacume stuff out of the engine bay? im planning on pulling the whole engine harness/ecu, just want to make sure i don't miss anything.

thanks again

ryan

Been a couple years since I pulled the engine and related items out of a XT6, but I think I remember things right.

All of the sensors are on the engine with the exception of the MAF on the air filter box. There's 2 big harness connectors under the hood, right behind the engine. Follow the engine side of those, and you'll find everything you need under the hood for the engine. I cut the main altenator wire at the fusable link box, thinking the other alt wires are in the main engine harness.

You have to rip the PS and rear seat out to get to the ECU wiring. Wires run under carpet, and the fuel pump wiring is there also. Thinking the AC unit has to be pulled to get to where wiring goes thru firewall.

There's some wiring that goes to the dash for things like check engine light, oil pressure, water temp, ignition and fuel pump relays, ignition switch (starter wire). I just followed the wires as far as I could from where they split off at the firewall pass-thru and cut them. You'll be splicing into those anyways.

You'll need 2 relays and their connectors for ignition and fuel pump. There's a few of those located under where the console meets the dash Not sure right now which one is what, but it really don't matter as they're all the same, IIRC....

The wiring diagram shows a diode in the circuit(s) for the ign and fp relays. I don't know where it's located in the dash wiring, so I can't help you there. Adam, and subarubrat aren't using the diode in their rigs, and say they have no problems with running.