Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where is the high idle?

bgd73

I just got an 87gl, and it is different carbed than my 87dl. The dl had mechanisms to adjust for high idle in association with the choke. I found a diagram for the carb on the gl, and sure enough, the only screw I found claiming to be for "high idle" in the diagram, is the only screw for the engine idling at all. :confused:

I put the idle to where it is supposed to be, and there is no high idle at all and don't know how to get one. The choke works great , thats about all. Seems very simple in comparison to the dl I owned, not much happening under that filter plenum. :rolleyes:

Did I miss something?

The carb seems antique in simplicity, something you could find on a really old engine with the incredibly glorified electric choke (when it used to be). I know the carb is oem after finding the diagrams, and it is a hitachi.

do you have any pics of the carb? i know i couldn't find anything in the diagrams on my carb either, but after asking somebody i work with... he showed me where the choke adjustment screw was. you had to come up from under the carb and it was attached to the throttle linkage it seems? screw was pointing down... but i can't say for sure. not without a pic anywayss.

on the hitachi the low idle adjustment is on the front of the carb, if your looking at it from the front bumper it will be to the left of the idle a/f mixture screw.

the high idle adjustment is at the rear of the carb wich is around where the throttle cable is but its hard to adjust because its attached to the throttle pulley(? not sure what to call it?) and its best to either have the air filter assembly off the car or to, at the least, remove the spare tire and use a long phillips screwdriver (the star one)

*note* the high idle is adjusted proportionately to the low idle, so if the low idle is wrong the high idle will be equally so.

there are a couple of us still using the hitachi carb but most ditch it in favour of the much more maintenance friendly webber

on the hitachi the low idle adjustment is on the front of the carb, if your looking at it from the front bumper it will be to the left of the idle a/f mixture screw.

the high idle adjustment is at the rear of the carb wich is around where the throttle cable is but its hard to adjust because its attached to the throttle pulley(? not sure what to call it?) and its best to either have the air filter assembly off the car or to, at the least, remove the spare tire and use a long phillips screwdriver (the star one)

*note* the high idle is adjusted proportionately to the low idle, so if the low idle is wrong the high idle will be equally so.

there are a couple of us still using the hitachi carb but most ditch it in favour of the much more maintenance friendly webber

That hit the spot exactly, thank you for the tip. 1300 rpm in the cold is better than I coudn't adjust on the spfi (the spfi I had screamed in the cold). I like the old hitachi again. Start it up and run back into the warm house.:)