Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

harmonic balancer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,650 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hey guys,
My mechanic heard that i was converting from auto to manual and he suggested to my mother that i get a harmonic balancer. Do i need one for this engine? Ive never heard of a harmonic balancer on an old suby.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

No. Your mechanic is an idiot. The boxer engine doesn't need one as it's already balanced. Besides that, they were never equipped on EA81's in any form so it would have to be custom made. Non-turbo EA82's didn't have them either. The turbo's had one (or something very similar) but I can't recall at the moment exactly why.

GD

#3 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:12 PM

On OHC EA engines (so just EA82s), the flywheel is the harmonic balancer, not the crank pulley.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,308 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

GD is right.

No. Your mechanic is an idiot.

tell us how you really feel GD!!!! WOO HOO!

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

On OHC EA engines (so just EA82s), the flywheel is the harmonic balancer, not the crank pulley.

Huh? Explain yourself. I've used EA81 flywheels on EA82's without issue, and the other way around as well. Harmonic blancers are rubber mounted crank pulley things.... flyhweels are cast iron.... EA82 Turbo's have harmonic balanced pulley's, but the EA82 NA does not.

GD

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

GD is right. tell us how you really feel GD!!!! WOO HOO!

:grin:

#7 DasWaff

DasWaff

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Durham

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

As I understand it, harmonic balancer is a shock mounted crankshaft pulley that compensates for the stresses caused by the (unequal) angle(s) at which power strokes exert force on the crankshaft. One angle in an inline or slant, two in a 'V' configuration. Since the flat four power strokes are inherently 180 degrees apart the crankshaft sees equal opposing forces which eliminates the need for the harmonic balancer. A smooth running boxer looks motionless at idle because of the great balance, probably could pass the old Duesenberg nickel standing on edge trick.

#8 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

A smooth running boxer looks motionless at idle because of the great balance, probably could pass the old Duesenberg nickel standing on edge trick.

Hm. I think mine needs some work, then. :-/

-=Russ=-

#9 Prospeeder

Prospeeder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:03 PM

Hm. I think mine needs some work, then. :-/

-=Russ=-

yea same here, lol

#10 DasWaff

DasWaff

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Durham

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

A smooth running boxer looks motionless at idle because of the great balance, probably could pass the old Duesenberg nickel standing on edge trick.

Notice I did not say "my boxer"...:brow:

DW

#11 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

Notice I did not say "my boxer"...:brow:

DW

I've had/have some Webered EA's that run nearly that smooth. I'm getting there with my SPFI, but it's real finicky about small crankcase vac leaks - such as the o-ring around the oil dipstick tube :mad:

GD

#12 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,650 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:05 PM

ok thanks everyone..thats what i thought. Just making sure cause if i needed one i was going to be pissed.

#13 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

A harmonic balancer is a seperate shaft driven off the crank to balance dynamic loading caused by the motion of the crank/rod/piston assembly. It can also be incorporated in the cam shaft on OHV engines.
Many enignes have more than one harmonic balancing shaft, suck as the buik (sp?) 3.8l V6 used in our Holdens....

They have the same effect as the balancing weights on your crank shaft, which balance the first mode reaction forces, which oscillate at crank speed. The Harmonic balancers rotate at multiples of crank speed to balance other reaction modes.

#14 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:12 PM

A harmonic balancer is a seperate shaft driven off the crank to balance dynamic loading caused by the motion of the crank/rod/piston assembly.

That's called a counter-balance shaft, and is needed for smooth running in inherenty unbalanced engines (3 cylinders, 5 cylinders, most inline engines, etc). It is DIFFERENT from a harmonic balancer which is designed to counteract resonance between the cylinder fireing vibrations, and the engine RPM:

http://en.wikipedia....rmonic_balancer

The harmonic isn't needed with the EA81 because of the opposed nature of the cylinders - when one side fires, the forces are transfered directly across to the opposing cylinder.

GD

#15 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:45 PM

A harmonic balancer is a seperate shaft driven off the crank...

In the USA, an "harmonic balancer" means something different, typically a special front pulley. On our V8s, it is typically used where the crankshaft does not provide proper internal balancing (does not have crankthrow counterweights, or they are insufficient).

#16 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

In the USA, an "harmonic balancer" means something different, typically a special front pulley. On our V8s, it is typically used where the crankshaft does not provide proper internal balancing (does not have crankthrow counterweights, or they are insufficient).

Ha, you guys have to do everything different don't you!! :lol:

#17 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:07 PM

Ha, you guys have to do everything different don't you!! :lol:

As was said regarding us and Great Britain..."Two countries separated by a common language." :lol:

I try to be sensitive to the USA not REALLY being the center of the known universe, and that words and physicality ("driver's side") are not the same to all. But then, my first car was a Triumph, and its manuals were all British. My second car was a Datsun (Nissan), and its manual was a British translation from the Japanese. :rolleyes:

#18 dixracing

dixracing

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • shelton,wa.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

hmmmmmm mine too..............lol

#19 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

Careful on saying the flat fours are balanced. They have an excellent primary balance (the momentum of the pistons is balanced), but they don't have a very decent kinetic energy balance because one side of the engine has two power strokes, then the other side. The large heavy flywheels on these help to make up for that and absorb the extra vibrations.

#20 Prospeeder

Prospeeder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:50 PM

a harmonic balencer can also be a seprate shaft, i know the 3300 GM V6's used a harmonic balencer that balenced it all out it was a shaft driving off the cam i think, but somehow it went like backwards or somthing and had wieghts on it to counter act the off balence situation on the 90* V6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users