Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why subaru's are retired...

Ive only owned 3 sobs in my 3 yrs of driving 1st brumby was stolen and brunt 2nd one was a liberty which im stripping for parts including the engine for the ej swap into my 3rd soob a 90 brumby

twas a sad day when my first got stolen but a much sadder day when they found it:horse: :dead:

Im on my 3rd Sube myself. 1st- 91 Legacy L was my first car but has been in the family since new. 2nd-EA81 hatch that I loved so dear. It backfired like a confederate artillery unit and in the city incited shots fired calls. 3rd- BRAT got it three weeks ago from a guy off here. Love it to death, i love getting all the attention in it when I drive it around town.

My 1981 GL was killed by rust and a start issue. Never checked out the start issue as once i got under the car i saw no framerails left.

My 1997 was rust at the same place on the frame rail. It was eating front axles because the frame was rotted. I drove it as a rear wheel drive for 3 weeks til i found a replacement.

nipper

I have three daily drivers that are running fine

2000 OBS, 1992 SVX and 1982 BRAT

I had a 1985 FWD XT and a 1987 4wd XT that I bought a while ago as project cars and I had to abandon b/c I needed to move and there was no place for them.

I also had a 1984 GL Wagon that I bought for parts and a 1987 GL-10 that I also scrapped for parts.

BW

i wasn't going to mention new generations..

i had a 1998 legacy that got slamed by a dodge (still out of work on that one)

and now a 1997 OBW.

The 1998 took the hit, ran for three more weeks, but then the twist in the body was pissing off the drivetrain.

nipper

i wasn't going to mention new generations..

i had a 1998 legacy that got slamed by a dodge (still out of work on that one)

and now a 1997 OBW.

The 1998 took the hit, ran for three more weeks, but then the twist in the body was pissing off the drivetrain.

nipper

how badly was it damaged? what dodge? truck, car, van?

how badly was it damaged? what dodge? truck, car, van?

i was stoped at a red light. Kid behind me did not see me or the redlight. i saw him coming hit the gas, didnt get very far but it probably saved me from being in a wheel chair. Car tok the hit in the left rear, i was hit by a stratous at 50mph.

i'll post pics when i get home (thought i did). Car was twisted in the impact and the AWD started making a mysterious clunking noise. At first glance the car didnt look to bad from the front....

nipper

well, i haven't retired any so i probably shouldn't post on here but i'm going too.

i still own my first subaru, an 86 GL wagon D/R 5spd, i bought it 12 years ago. totaled it in the first 4 months a friend of mine that does body work fixed it drove it about a year later i bought it back from him for haft the price i originally bought it for. 4 years ago i gave to the girl that was living with me at the time because she sold her beater wagon when we moved in together and drove the van i bought to carry us and our 5 kids combined around in, i only gave it to her because it was payed off and i still owed on the van. 6 months later we got back together and i got it back then we sold it to her exinlaws that she was still friends with. about a year later i bought it back from them. now i still own it and almost 2 years ago i lifted it and did a 6 lug conversion and 15" buckshots and welded the rearend but now it has 235/75-15 SXT MT. i will never get rid of it again.

i had an 89 DL wagon S/R 5spd for a DD, 6 months after owning it i sold it to my dad. he still has it and drives it, i may be buying it back some as he wants to get a newer outback.

then last january i bought an 84 Gl wagon D/R 4spd for $100 for a DD, did a hell of alot of work to it and spent alot of money to make it reliable. once thats was all fixed i cranked up the struts and torsion bars, put an lsd in the rear and put 14" blizzaks on it.

so i haven't retired any but i have sold one and still have 2.

we have 6 Subarus here - 3 Drivers, 3 Parts cars

of the drivers, I still have my very first one, purchased a little over 5 yrs ago, altho she is off the road at the moment due to a minor run in with a steep ditch, she will see the road again.

only one of the three parts cars is in really bad shape, rust wise...gonna need a big fork lift to get that one outta here! bad thing around here is they dont keep them at the junkyards...so we kind of had to start our own! good thing we live in the boonies!! :grin:

My first soob the 81 wagon was a mistake to be sold (still regret it, has a lift kit and was great, still see it every now and then, might still get her back). My next 81 wagon had to go cause of rust. Bought a 93 wagon auto and sold because of the auto (too much petrol used). On a 84 wagon now and lovin it!

#1 = ('88 2WD Rusty-Trusty-Musty-Justy) Bought it for $20 when I was 15. Death rallied it on the property when my parents weren't home. It threw a rod. Sold it for $50 with a trashed engine.

#2 = (1991 Loyale) Mom's daily driver. Awesome car. Mint condition. Rolled it the day after I got my driver's license (see avatar). My dad, against my orders, gave it away to a friend. The engine is now in an airplane.

#3 = (1982 Hatch) Selling it to my buddy (dirt cheap) when he returns from Africa at the end of December.

/\ #2 and #3 were/still are rust-free, baby... /\