Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ swapped subie, any wet electrical problems?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

I was just wondering, have any of you guys with EJ's had problems with the wires, plugs, sensors etc getting wet and the engine not working to well afterwards? My EA81 is always giving me trouble with the disty, just wondering if I will have to do something to help my EJ when it's in..?

#2 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

This isn't in an EJ swapped soob, but my brother drove my mom's 99 Leg through a deep puddle. Got out through the other side and the engine wasn't running.

Ended up needing a new MAP sensor, AIT sensor, and a coilpack to get it running again. Of course, earlier models will have a MAF sensor and not a MAP sensor

#3 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

Do you think the MAP sensor died because it got water in it? Or because water was around it, in it's plug, etc?

And what is/does a AIT sensor do?

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:15 AM

My Ej doesn't have any problem with water except for the alt belt. It will squeel during and after water crossings. The only problem I've ever had with water is that hydrolocking thing. It's never caused electrical issues for me.

Mikeshoup- it sounds like whoever worked on the legacy after was just throwing parts at it till it ran.

#5 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:28 AM

The only thing I'm aware of is that EJ22s like to get water past the spark plug boots and down around the spark plugs, where it causes arcing and intermittant misfires. I've even had that damage the plugs. If you're going to see a lot of water, I'd use a bunch of dielectric grease where the plug boots seal to the heads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users