Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fair price for new 2003 base model Forester?

Guest Subazoo

Its between a new Jeep Wrangler and a Fos-ster. What did any of you folks pay for a newbie? Just curious. We live in VT.

Thanks,

ZOO

Guest bratman2

We were quoted $19122 in Colorado Springs while visiting, this was not including sales tax as we are from NC. This was a 5 speed and did include a tweeter kit, cargo mat. Auto should be about $800 more. We opted for a Legacy L SE instead. Glenn Taylor.

Guest lazyNorm

Those two vehicles are alomast exact opposites. One is a trail truck with OK street manners, the othe is a nice foul weather car with very little trail capabilities. How did you narrow it down to those two? Just wondering. I love our Legacy as a daily driver and in the rain and snow, but will never see the places my Cherokee goes.:D

Guest rcoaster

My roomate has a Jeep Sport (Which was the base model at that time with a 4 cylinder engine) , and I rode in it several times. He loves his Jeep, but it's not for me. It feels so unsafe. I feel like that I'll find myself upside down in a Jeep if I hit a pot hole with it! The Forester is a much more safer car.

The cargo area in the Forester is much better than the Jeep. Did you know that rear seats in a Jeep is Optional? The radio, air conditioning, and a few aneminites are all optional. The Forester has those standard. In a Jeep of the same price as 2004 Forester, they are optional. I'm using the Jeep Wrangler Sport as a comparison, since their prices are similar, here's what is standard in a Forester that's optional in a Wrangler Sport: ABS, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Radio with CD Player (Jeep doesn't even offer a weatherband radio, Forester does!), and 16 inch wheels.

Now, here's a list of things that the 2004 Forester has standard that even the Jeep can't offer: Side Airbags, Full-Time AWD system, hill-holder feature on manual's, Power windows, door lock, and exterior mirrors, keyless entry, rear wiper with de-icer, rear defogger, and Driver's seat height and lumbar adjustment.

Basically, you're getting a lot of standard stuff with a Forester than with a Jeep. The reason why the automatics are $800 more (MSRP, One dealer has it for $720) is that you get a different kind of AWD system, that is electronically controlled. It's one of the most advanced AWD systems in the market, and typically high-end luxury cars usually have those systems. The Jeep is only part time, and has a speed ceiling to it. With the Forester, you can safely go 65, 75, 100 mph in "4WD". :)

One last thing to look at is MPG. I'm sure that the Forester gets better MPG than the Jeep Wrangler!

-RC!