Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Our 2005 legacy non turbo has a VERY annoying left rear road noise. Believe it or not it has over 80k on it. When you drive at any speed it has a road noise that is very distinctive when I sit in the left rear seat. At first we thought it was tires and we replaced all four. It doesnt matter if you load the rear wheels on turns or if you are driving straight down the road, so that eliminates the bearing. Any problems with axles or rear diffs? Thanks for your time in this matter.

i'd guess brake pads/caliper off the top of my head. have the rears ever been replaced?

i'd get that wheel off the ground and see if spinning it by hand causes anything?

was definitely there before and after the tire change? they were balanced properly? wondering if you lost a wheel weight.

Possibly your tires, i wouldn't be surprised, check to see the psi in all 4 tires.
Highly unlikely. He said he replaced all the tires.

I'm going with wheel bearing on this one. The mileage and central sound location suggest as such. However, before you just go have a bearing put in, just make sure that you don't have a dragging dust shield or brake. Probably would be easiest to test by jacking the car up entirely and listing to the sound. Wheel bearings make a pretty distinct sound.

Highly unlikely. He said he replaced all the tires.

I'm going with wheel bearing on this one. The mileage and central sound location suggest as such. However, before you just go have a bearing put in, just make sure that you don't have a dragging dust shield or brake. Probably would be easiest to test by jacking the car up entirely and listing to the sound. Wheel bearings make a pretty distinct sound.

oops i didnt see that read over it real quick.

The noise doesn't change with brake application. It doesn't change with hard right turns (loading up the left rear wheel). It sounds like a tire that is cupped but like I said we rotated the tires and then just replaced them all. I can sit in the back left seat and put my ear to the door pillar and when we turn, brake, speed up, slow down (with and without brakes) the noise is still there. After 25 years of working on cars I got out of the business and I will have to put this on 4 jack stands and crawl under the car to check this out. So any help in which direction to go is GREATLY appreciated

The noise doesn't change with brake application. It doesn't change with hard right turns (loading up the left rear wheel). It sounds like a tire that is cupped but like I said we rotated the tires and then just replaced them all. I can sit in the back left seat and put my ear to the door pillar and when we turn, brake, speed up, slow down (with and without brakes) the noise is still there. After 25 years of working on cars I got out of the business and I will have to put this on 4 jack stands and crawl under the car to check this out. So any help in which direction to go is GREATLY appreciated

well maybe the emergency brake is stuck, u have alot of rust? also, well probably isnt a wheel bearing, but still possible, because a wheel bearing usually changed tone when u turn, something is dragging. jack up the car, and spin the wheel, also might be the rear diff, anything is possible.

well maybe the emergency brake is stuck, u have alot of rust? also, well probably isnt a wheel bearing, but still possible, because a wheel bearing usually changed tone when u turn, something is dragging. jack up the car, and spin the wheel, also might be the rear diff, anything is possible.
The car is brand new....I highly doubt it's any of that stuff. As for it not being a bearing, your logic is quite wrong. Bearings make noise all the time, regardless of turning or load. It's usually associated with a grind or roaring sound.

I also doubt the rear diff as well. I still think jacking it up will be the best solution. Once you have it jacked up, make sure the wheel is completely tight and then try to shake it. If it moves at all (aside from normal rotating movement) something in there is loose and it's probably the bearing.

The car is brand new....I highly doubt it's any of that stuff. As for it not being a bearing, your logic is quite wrong. Bearings make noise all the time, regardless of turning or load. It's usually associated with a grind or roaring sound.

I also doubt the rear diff as well. I still think jacking it up will be the best solution. Once you have it jacked up, make sure the wheel is completely tight and then try to shake it. If it moves at all (aside from normal rotating movement) something in there is loose and it's probably the bearing.

No it isnt brand new he has 80k, thats alot IMO for a 2005, and the undercarage might be coroded, anything is possible, dont assume things u dont know, but if u read, i didnt say IT IS NOT the wheel bearing, i said i DOUBT its the wheel bearing, and i find with the vehicle experience i have, they mostly make noise when i turned, and changed pitch, wasnt a steady pitch OK.

Wheel Bearing. I went through the same thing with the road noise and all. Different sets of tires, balancing. This went on for a couple of years. I refused to believe it was a bearing because there was no play in the wheel. I was dead set on a faulty rear diff. The noise was consistant at most speeds which was wierd. Anyways got it replaced and I have been noise free since.

Our 2005 legacy non turbo has a VERY annoying left rear road noise. Believe it or not it has over 80k on it. When you drive at any speed it has a road noise that is very distinctive when I sit in the left rear seat. At first we thought it was tires and we replaced all four. It doesnt matter if you load the rear wheels on turns or if you are driving straight down the road, so that eliminates the bearing. Any problems with axles or rear diffs? Thanks for your time in this matter.

Had the same problem with my '01 Forester.

Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing.

• 1 month later...
Had the same problem with my '01 Forester.

Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing.

well you all were right, changed the left wheel bearing and it's WONDERFUL :) there was no play in it at all according to my wonderful mechanic :)

you all are great...always having the right answers! thanks!

• 3 years later...