Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi Electric Choke Question???

So I finally got my newly rebuilt Hitachi dialed in right on my 87 GL Wagon so it is running right and idling smoothly at about 800 rpms when warm. The only problem I am having is the fact that it still is hard to start first thing in the morning. I just replaced the carb with a rebuilt one and the choke seemed to work initially. I have 12V to the choke itself when the car is running but it does not want to close at all in the morning. What would be causing this to happen? I have thought about checking the function of another choke that I have from a junkyard carb and swapping them out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated because it is starting to getting me really frustrated.

If I remember correctly, the 12v is to heat the bimetal coil inside the choke to open the choke. 12v will not be applied untill the engine is running, as it runs and warms up, the 12v element in the chike heats up the bimetal coil, thermostat basically, and it expands, turning the choke shaft to open it. Take you old one and carefully open it up. there should be rivets or screws holdint the round cover in place, remove them but hold the cover in place. Now trun the cover in one direction or the other, that will increase or decrease the spring load on the coil and open or close the choke. You should get a good idea of how it works then. Now while your engine is stone cold, like it is in the morning, do the same to the carb on the car. Turning it to close the choke plate, but just enough to close it. You don't want to go too far past the point that it is closed. You may not have to close it all the way either for the engine to start.

There may also be an issue with the linkage. With it stone cold, open the throttle completely while watching the choke, it should close as soon as it's opened, I think. I can't remember if your year soob requires the throttle opened to close the choke like the olde ones do.

So should my choke plate close by applying the throttle and then slowly open once it is running due to the 12V that is heating up the spring inside the choke? The reason I ask is because the choke plate is not closing at all when I apply the gas before attempting to start it. Thanks

That is kinda what I was thinking. I noticed that on the backside (closest to intake on the carburetor) of the choke housing there is an extremely small piece of wire sticking out on a spare Hitachi carburetor that I have. Is that where the spring is attached in order to build tension? If that is the case I should be able to see if the wire is still sticking out and if not than that would show that it has broken?