Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loud ticking noise at first start up- normal?

i have a new ccr 2.2 with about 6000 miles on it and have noticed as it has gotten a bit cooler that it ticks really loud for about 10 minutes in the morn until it is warmed up, it is not cold here in az, maybe 50-55 in the morn, i am concerned something is wrong and i might hurt the motor, have been not moving it until it is warmed up good

i am running royal purple 10-30

is this a normal thing for these cars to be loud on start up?

thanks for any input

what is tod?

Common problem of old gens. Tick of death (though it can go on for 20k miles without any other symptoms). It is when the hydralic lifters collapse due to low oil pressure or dirty oil clogging them.

My old gen ticks for about 5 seconds upon starting it in cold weather, but no longer than that (unless it's two quarts low on oil, sorry car :eek:)

Also, might be piston slap? I've heard that being a problem with some 2.5's, but never heard it, or owned one.

Z

this is a brand new 2.2 rebuild from ccr, oil is never low at all and nothing should be clogged, it is not the tick of death, noooooooooooooo, don't even want to hear things like that

new motor - no death here

maybe the valves need adjusting, shawn are you around?

so this is obviously not a normal 2.2 thing like i was hoping

Depends very much on the year the cylinder heads are from.

If it has fixed valve lifters, then cold morning ticking is normal. If they're hydraulic, something isn't quite right.

What oil filter are you using? The genuine Subaru filters have an effective anti-drainback valve to keep oil in the engine during the overnight cool down.

If it has fixed valve lifters, then cold morning ticking is normal. If they're hydraulic, something isn't quite right.

My car ticks like crazy, runs 100% though.

I had the HLA's out 10 times at least. Never got it to go away more than a few days.

Its poor design... Do like i do, crank up the tunes!

My '90 (2.2) ticked on very cold mornings for over 100,000 miles (the second 100k of it's life) with no other symptoms. The ticking would go on for a minute or two if I left it idling. But if at any point, including almost right away, if I started driving, even slowly, the ticking would stop in a few seconds. That makes me think it was likely oil pressure related -- except then I'd have expected other problems to surface or the ticking to get worse/not stop. If I understand how it works, piston slap should only stop when the engine block and pistons reach a certain temp and expand enough -- who knows though. Never really got worse, more frequent, or happened in warmer weather. Sold the car at 235k miles, running great.

Hesitate to call it "normal", as it's obviously not designed to do that. But I would call it par for the course, and mostly harmless, in a 2.2 with some miles. Lots of mentions on this site and others.

If you do let the oil level drop too much, like a couple of quarts (yes, I am embarrassed to say: been there -- did not seem to F up the engine, but it made me a bit sick to my stomach when I saw how low it was)...the engine will tick until you dump some oil in there. Not sure if it's the same thing going on, but the sound is very similar.

My '02 2.5 (110,000) does not tick, at least so far.

ok thanks for the input everybody, i will try contacting ccr but since they were terrible about answering their e-mails during the ordering and subsequent problems i had when the motor got here i am doubting they will answer this one either

i am also going to use the sube oil filter like suggested, will try giving it a little gas to see if raising the idle makes it go away

will post the results, thanks