Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Head gasket crack

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 legacyak

legacyak

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:05 PM

I'm almost positive there is a crack in the head gasket in my 00 OBW. I've been leaking antifreeze for about 3 weeks now. I put in some Bars Stop Leak, and it seems to slow it down pretty signficantly. However, it still does leak and I keep a very close eye on the antifreeze level. I was wondering if anybody has tried the stop leak stuff specially designed to fix cracked head gaskets. Do they work? I really don't have the extra $1000 or so to replace the head gasket. Any suggestions?

#2 Steve455

Steve455

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

i tried the stop leak in my car and it dint work for me,the car had 240,000 miles on it when i tried it so they where pretty far gone.

#3 montana105

montana105

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Billings

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

I've never had any success with any of the stop leak stuff except with very small radiator holes( pin holes).Won't waste the money again. Have successfully soldered pin holes in older radiators with a torch gun but I understand the need or want to fix your car as cheaply as possible but sometimes you've got to spring the bill and get the job done right and adding thickening agents(for want of a better word) to your antifreeze may fix your immediate problem but could create additional problems like plugging your radiator or already partially blocked passages..
John

#4 Ziggy

Ziggy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Tacoma Wa

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

I have used a product called K&W Nanotechnology Permanent Head Gasket &Block Repair. It was on 89 BMW 525. It seems to be working well no problems so far. That was last August. You have to follow the directions too the T. It's only 20.00$

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:31 PM

"almost positive" isn't enough to determine head gasket issuse and be adding bottle after bottle of stop leak, destroy your engine type stuff. you should verify the headgaskets are to blame and rule out other items - thermostat, radiator cap, water pump, leaks....

subaru supplies and adds a coolant conditioner to 2.5's with the external head gasket leak. yours may be beyond what additives can be used for, they are a band-aid at best really.

be advised, if you plan on keeping the motor, adding more and more stuff to the coolant takes you further and further down the road of not having a useable engine at all in the future. consider a 2.2 swap if money is an issue. with some effort they can be done very inexpensively.

#6 Steve455

Steve455

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

also if you are gonna use stop leak its a good idea to bypass the heater core,after using it in my trans am my heater wouldnt work that good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users