Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Duels with a little lift

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,637 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:32 PM

thinkin duals front and rear with a 2" lift maybe cool , use stock subaru rims and 25-26" snowish tires , maybe run the outer tires smaller so they wouldnt contact the ground untill you needed them ,this would also help with the stock gearing, run a locked rear of course

#2 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

wheel bearings?!?!? :eek:

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

In my experience duals are terrible off-road. The space between the tires fills up with mud, and occasionally rocks get stuck in there too. This leads to a bunch of extra weight, and a loss of traction from the mud slick. I've broken 3" limbs trying to lever out stuff stuck in the duals of the dueces. Even the military has gone away from them in favor of more adanced single tire designs, and more axles for load bearing.

They are great for towing, and for carrying heavy loads, but for off-road they are just not the right technology. It's unsafe to air them down because as the two tires flex toward each other, things caught between them can puncture the sidewall. I've passed dualie trucks stuck in snow with my soob.

GD

#4 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

how do you lock a rear.. sorry for the thread heist.. but just curious..

#5 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

how do you lock a rear.. sorry for the thread heist.. but just curious..

Good thing to do is start a new thread or do a search. The only way so far that we know of for Subaru's is weld the spider gears to the diff housing (no, not the bit you see when you look under the car, the bit that bolts the the crown wheel)
I have pictures in a post somewhere on here, wait a mo, here you go http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=65238

#6 970subaru

970subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:03 PM

good way to get stuff out of dually tires is to put a ratchet strap around it, and around a tree or part of the vehicle, then drive in the direction that will pull the piece out.

#7 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:57 AM

There was an article in 4 wheeler a couple of years back, about a roadie for AC/DC. I digress, anyway he had a huge 4 door extended bed chevy 3/4 ton dually offroader, that did pretty well (at least the pictures would lead you to believe)

It was a southwest, dune runner which may be why it worked well, and wouldn't work well in the northwest.

I'd say go for it, at least in the rear, i'd say not so much in the front, but it would be cool to see anyway.

#8 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

I saw a rockcrawler out at the moonrocks that was sporting dualies front and rear, making an 8 wheeler.:eek: Seemed to do all right, as GD said , I didn't see him air down much, but it looked cool.

#9 Sweet82

Sweet82

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:02 PM

Here is a Subie sporting Dualies

http://www.rhinobugg...talkerdualy.jpg

A highly modified Subaru...

#10 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

Dual wheels will help in situations where you're looking for floatation, rather than traction. I've seen them a lot on quads where they're going through crazy mud or really boggy ground. However, if it's possible, you'd probably be better off with a single really wide tire.

#11 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:21 AM

Dual wheels will help in situations where you're looking for floatation, rather than traction. I've seen them a lot on quads where they're going through crazy mud or really boggy ground. However, if it's possible, you'd probably be better off with a single really wide tire.

An aired down swamper would still have more contact patch than two full-pressure swamps of the same size..... this is one reason the military is doing away with the dual's on their trucks. Rubber compounds, and the advent of radial tires (yeah - I know the ARMY is a little behind the times tho) allows wider tires and CTIS systems. You can't air down dual's without serious risk of damage. The first Army rig with CTIS was the DUKW (amphibious 2.5 ton "duece"), and unlike all the other dueces it's got no duals. This, and it's amphibious nature prevented it from carrying a full 2.5 tons of cargo generally. It was a problem to say the least, and one of the reasons it was retired. The M35-A3 version of the duece (CAT turbo deisel) hasn't got duals either, as it's got the electronic cab-controled CTIS system.

Maybe for a quad - wide, low pressure tires..... yeah it might work for those, but I'm no quad expert either.

GD

#12 waimaks

waimaks

Hey Boe!

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • NZ

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

Subaru with Duals..
Posted Image

#13 Virrdog

Virrdog