Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whats my 4x good up too????

i have a 1980 gl hatchback (ea71 4x4 4 speed and all that good stuff) and in my manual it doesnt give me any speed limit, and or shifting limit for the four wheel drive. what speed can i safely(mechanically) drive it in. i know not to when turning, or to use different sized tires. but i wanna go on dirt trails pretty fast. so help me out brothas. thanx.

:headbang: subarus ROCK!!!! :banana:

you can apparently shift into 4x4 at any speed, just use the clutch. really doubt you'll have problems using 4x4 at any speed you can attain in the dirt. Just be easy on it on the pavement. You will have to try reversing and turning, or break traction to unbind 4wd and allow it to switch if you have been driving on pavement.

The speed isn't the limitation. The problem is turning on pavement or high traction surfaces with the 4WD engaged. The binding can be inconvenent at best and destroy an axle or worse if you are unlucky. As long as you are using the 4WD off road OR on snowy roads (or other low traction surfaces) you are fine.

drive as fast as you want. i go 65 in 4x4, on county roads, and out in the field!

we had the rx up to 75 in lo, but the rx has a taller lo gear.

the book says no more than 45 because of fuel economy in mind.

just be sure to "stick to the rules" about using 4x on dry pavement..etc.....