Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 vs. EJ22E vs. EJ22G, Any Difference?

Are there any differences between these engines? Are there different generations of the EJ22?
The EJ22G is the engine that came in the limited production 22B Impreza WRX, so it is a DOHC Turbocharged engine, an EJ22 is a SOHC N/A engine, I'm not sure what an EJ22E is. So yes, they are different.

The EJ22G is the engine that came in the limited production 22B Impreza WRX, so it is a DOHC Turbocharged engine, an EJ22 is a SOHC N/A engine, I'm not sure what an EJ22E is. So yes, they are different.
EJ22 and EJ22E are the same. EJ22T is the USDM Turbo engine that came in 91-94 Legacies (Sport Sedan or Touring Wagon).

EJ22 and EJ22E are the same. EJ22T is the USDM Turbo engine that came in 91-94 Legacies (Sport Sedan or Touring Wagon).
Thanks for letting us know about the EJ22 and the EJ22E, and you are right that the EJ22T (SOHC turbocharged) was for the US model Legacy Turbo, but that wasn't one of the engines models he was asking about.

EJ22 used in the Legacy/Outback.

EJ22E used in the Impreza. Slight change to the pistons.

EJ22G as described, bored out for limited production in the WRX ( about 450 world wide was the number I remember ). Don't remember what countries it was sold in as the WRX's I have seen have been the 2.0L.

EJ22 used in the Legacy/Outback.

EJ22E used in the Impreza. Slight change to the pistons.

EJ22G as described, bored out for limited production in the WRX ( about 450 world wide was the number I remember ). Don't remember what countries it was sold in as the WRX's I have seen have been the 2.0L.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to once again say that EJ22 = EJ22E. Everyone just forgets the E part.

Picture is taken from my 1991 Legacy:

dscn2656smallxk4.jpg

Sorry, but it isn't a bored out 2.0, it has it's own special block, and unlike the EJ22T, it doesn't not have the oil sprayers to cool the pistons. A better description of the engine might be an EJ22 block, with low compression turbo pistons and DOHC heads similar to the EJ20G. Like I stated, the limited production was called the 22B, it was available in all countries that have right hand drive vehicles.

EJ22 = just the first 4-digits

EJ22E = all USDM N/A 2.2-liter engines from 90-96

EJ22EZ = all USDM 2.2-liter engines from 97-98 (9.7:1 CR, solid lifters, single-port exhaust, but still Phase I)

EJ222/EJ223 = USDM 2.2-liter engines from 99-01 (same stuff as EZ, but Phase II)

There's some weirdness in the transition from E to EZ in 96, as some 96 2.2 owners report having solid lifters and single-port exhaust.

EJ22T = 91-94 USDM Legacy Turbo engine

EJ22G = Impreza 22B engine

EJ22T is NOT the same as EJ22G, despite what the Nasioc clowns tell you.

• Like 1