Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pug Wheel Questions?

Dante

OK, I've tried a bunch of searches (can't search 15" but I tried 15*) and looked at the wheel page, but I still have some questions:

1. How hard are the 15" steel Pugs to find?

2. Are the 15" Pug steels desireable? One peerson I spoke with said I wanted the 14s because the 15s aren't as strong because they are spares or something. He may have been thinking of the 15" Subaru spares.

3. If the 15" Pugs are desireable, how much should I expect to pay for a set of five?

4. What are the differences among the steel 14s? Do slots, holes, etc. make a difference? (I'd like to avoid the weird 2-piece lug nuts with the washer thingies.)

Pretty sure 14" steels are a lot easier to come by than the 15" steels. The Pugeout 504 later model cars had the wierd washer/lug setup that made it annoying or less desireable than the 505 rims. The pug rims are mostly ball seated rims, so the pug lugnuts are necessary to avoid vibration that can be caused by using the conical tapered acorn lugnuts that soobs use.

I got 15" alloys from a Pugeout 505 Turbo, and I paid $60 for four, with all four caps and all the lugnuts at the junkyard....

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

Why do you need to worry, didnt your wagon come with redrilled toyota rims?

My car came with re-drilled Chevy rims. I know a lot of people have been running them for a long time with no problems, but they make me nervous. Ideally, I'd like to have 14" or 15" 4x140 wheels with the proper offset, but since those are too expensive ($100+ per wheel), I'll settle for Pugs. That's just my $.02--I'm definitely not criticizing anyone else's choice. When I get some pugs I'll sell the Chevy wheels here.

14's are easier to find, in my experience. Also, being an ex peugeot owner, I can tell you that the spare was a 15"steel, but I doubt it was any weaker than any 14". Not all peugeot wheels are mounted with ball type lug nuts. I have 4 slotted ones and one with round holes, and all 5 take the standard subaru acorn nuts. Only difference between them appears to be that one has slots and the other has holes.

There are different types of 15's as well. On one of Erics old Brats that now lives here in TX, the wheels are 15" pugs with no slots, no holes, solid disc. many of the 15" pugs that I have seen (and the few that I have owned) were 15's with holes.. looked just like the 14's with holes.

I paid somewhere between 80-100 for four with mismatched, but good tires on them. I soon removed them and put new tires one.. I then bought my 5th at PNP for $14 with a good tire that was even the right size.

Oh yeah.. thought I would mention that the steel ones with the weird lugnuts are, in my peugeot owning experience predominantly found on earlier model 505's. And don't be afraid of those. there's nothing wrong with them.

Might be able to find someone to trade with. IF you were closer, i would trade my 14" pug alloys for your redrilled toyo rims in a heartbeat. I saw that wagon in person at Johns shop, and those rims are very sharp.

Honestly, you have absolutly nothing to worry about. The wieght of the wheel rests on the center of the hub. And as long as your lug nuts and studs are in good condition you really dont have much to worry about.

If your that paranoid, the cheaper and probably better option would be to have some new, larger studs pressed into your hubs, and use larger, stronger lug nuts to hold the rims on. That should be enough to hold anything to your car.

-Brian

Mine were very hard to find. Wish I had orderd 5 now isntead of 4! I got them by pure chance. Bumped into a thread on the old board prolly... 3 years ago now? It mentioned a guy west of here (montana I think?) that has a Pugeot only junk yard! He had plenty of rims laying around and shipped me four 15" steel rims for just over $100. Wish I still had emails from that transaction :(

Maybe someone else remembers more about this junkyard?

I have time to shop for a good set of pugs. The drilled Chevy wheels will do for now and the rubber has another year in it.

Larger studs and nuts sounds like a good idea if I stick with the drilled Chevy wheels. One of my lugs has torn up threads and is missing a lug anyway. Need to get that fixed...

A six-lug conversion would also address my concern, but I understand doing that to rear disks can be tricky (less material, IIRC) and rear disks are definitely on my list of things to do. IIRC Qman has both (rear disks and six-lugs), but i'll probably just snag some pugs...

Pug 15 steels are kick rump roast. They have just a little offset, and can take a wider range of tires. They are as strong as anything.

They are harder to come by, cuz they are spares in the turbo models which have 15 inch alloys. Takes 4 cars to complete a set. That guy I told you about has them from time to time. 150 a set of 4.